A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Avant died

cobrascim

Reaction score
My wife was driving our car home last week when it stopped. Discovered that the timing belt was split long ways so half of it was still on the pulleys. Stripped it down rotated egnie by hand and the timing marks etc lined up OK. Rather than rush out and by full set of belts and tensioners etc we decided to try and start it to ensure the engine wasn't broke. When it almost fired there was a tapping from the passenger side cylinder head therefore I'm not going to bother stripping the head down and spending even more money on valve repairs (at least).
She told me the oil light had flashed up earlier in the day but went off again and I'm starting to think the car had actually dropped a valve or something as the belt pulleys lined up (maybe barring one tooth on the drivers side head strangely enough). P1ssed off cos it was 18,000 from the belt change although last belt was 6 years ago. Also spent £1,000 last year getting the diesel pump rebuilt at diesel bobs and replaced the one in the tank as well only to last another year.
Anyway is it worth sticking the whole car on ebay or stripping the pumps off and sending to scrappies. Pity cos the whole car is still tidy for a '98.
Anyone else had the V6 go like this?
John.

I'd put the car on ebay for sure, or break it yourself. Scrappy will give you peanuts for it.

The specified timing belt interval is 75k or 5 years, whichever comes first, so you were a year over the interval.

Having said that, why wasnt the belt changed when you did the diesel pump? Surely if it was off then, you really should have put a new belt on? Unless it WAS changed then and they've used a **** part?

Yep the specified was 80,000 miles but I dont remember it specifying an "or time" as well although it is now advised to be 5 years. I would've done the belt at the time of the pump if the front end was off but my mechanic mate managed to change it supporting the belt at top and withdrawing the pump to the back of the engine. Obviously the marks were checked and engine rotated etc when things were back together but I've never seen a belt split along the middle like this. Anyway what's done is now done. Engine is at 132,000 miles so it's a bit short lived.
Regards.
John.

Hi mate,
From experience now the heads could be rebuilt possibly cheaply, you will probably find that some of the folowers have broke and not the vlves as these are the weak part. this is possibly a side part though as you said that the oil light came on ealier in the day. This may be just low oil or could be more serious as low oil pressure which could mean a knackered bearings.this is only my opinion though.
J

Hi J,
I wonder....
If the followers can be replaced without taking the head off then it might be worth considering doing. The engine rotates fine by hand and on the starter. The metallic tapping is only when it's trying to fire. That may point to followers. Although at the end of the day something cause them to break.
Cheers.
John.

Hi J,
I wonder....
If the followers can be replaced without taking the head off then it might be worth considering doing. The engine rotates fine by hand and on the starter. The metallic tapping is only when it's trying to fire. That may point to followers. Although at the end of the day something cause them to break.
Cheers.
John.
If you decide to sell it whole i might be interested for a decent price... Regards, Chris- 077 89912128

Hi Guys,
Thanks for info. Car is on ebay.
It would be an awfull distance for you to come up for it Chris as it would need trailored away.
Regards.
John.

I have a trailer and i am not afraid of long drive ! How much you're looking for ? Do you have a link to the ebay advert ? If you do, please post it to me...Cheers.

Hi Chris,
Had a few questions on it already.
6 speed manual. Reserve is set at £400 so you dont waste your time if it's too much. This is based on Scrap value at the moment being around 200 for a car and 200 for the pumps which are obviously worth a lot more. The engine also has the newer type oil mist seperator fitted that causes the white smoke to come out the exhaust where people have had new turbos fitted by audi unnecessarily. All the rear bushes I had to do around 3 years ago which was a pain.
Cheers.
John.

1998 AUDI A4 2.5 TDI QUATTRO GREEN on eBay (end time 07-Apr-11 15:46:59 BST)

Hi John, 400 sounds reasonable, i could live with that ! I could pay you a deposit and collect from wednesday next week any day when it's convenient for you. Can you pm your postcode so i could work out how far away you are from N. London please ? Will you leave the dog guard in place ? I assume the interior is cloth, does it have DIS, any chance of a picture of the interior please ? Regards,
Chris

Chris,
The car will need go to the auction end at ebay. If it doesn't make reserve then I can do a deal or strip and scrap. Quite a few people asking about it. Postcode is KA2 0JN for your future information. The dog guard will go in our new car. Cloth interior is correct- grey. It does have DIS which is the button under the right hand stalk.
John.