1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 2.5 TDI Issues

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by L4FOU, Oct 29, 2010.

1. L4FOU

L4FOU New Member

[Oct 29, 2010]
    Hi All

It's been a while since I've been on here - see lots has been happening too...after some advice/guidance if I can. Considering selling my 1.9TDi 130 to up grade to a 2.5TDi still in the B6 range. Drove one a couple days ago (quattro 6sp manual)...boy was I impressed, pulled really well - body does need some attention though. Other than the norm is there anything in particular I should check/look out for on this model - I'm still a babe in terms of Audi ownership/driving - trying to avoid the trauma I had with the current A4.

All responses welcomed and appreciated - in advance of your kind consideration.

Many thanks

L4FOU
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. Shane-Ireland

Shane-Ireland Member

[Oct 29, 2010]
    Cam wear is an issue esp on AKE engines,i had the cams inspected prior to buying,the seller wasa good bloke i don't think many sellers would agree to it,it requires taking the rocker covers off and having a look.
  4. L4FOU

L4FOU New Member

[Oct 29, 2010]
    Thanks Shane - think an in depth inspection is in order before making a plunge

Thanks again
  5. brownie 25

brownie 25 Member

[Oct 30, 2010]
    i agree cam wear is a whore,mine has had a good engine overhaul and it still sounds like a airplane on take off,if its any way noisy its prob cams, thats good or bad most of the time they will keep on going 4 ever but then again you never know.from what i here its around 1500 punts or 2k euro to sort out depends witch side of the water you live
  6. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[Oct 30, 2010]
    If it was on longlife intervals then you most likely to have issues but, if they used quality oil and replaced once a year there should be no problems whatsoever. I have 3 high mileage cars (2 over 180k) with zero wear on the cams, just a shiny finish ! Each cam is 225 and it has 4 of them + 24 lifters/rocker arms and trust pads. Also the cambelt isnt a particulary easy job so that will set you back a good few hundred quid. Other than higher maintenance (cambelts and the like) they are pretty bulletproof.
  7. L4FOU

L4FOU New Member

[Oct 30, 2010]
    Thanks guys - all appreciated. The engine despite no documented service history sounds and runs a lot better than my 1.9tdi which I seems to be always servicing. Are the suspension arms and bushes the same?
  8. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[Oct 30, 2010]
    Yeah, pretty much the same, just shocks and springs have higher damping...
  9. donsajid

donsajid Member

[Oct 31, 2010]
    Also on 100K+ engines, the injection pump (Bosch VP44) is known to fail, which can cost about £1200 to put right with a refurb pump + labour included. The alternator can also fail so proabably and the poly belt will probably also need to be replaced if it has not already been done.