1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 2.0TSI - Acceleration lag on startup

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by Napbree, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Napbree

Napbree Member

[Jan 24, 2014]
    Hey guys,

A family member has an A4 Avant and on startup when it's cold, if you try and accelerate when its stationary or moving slowly there is a massive lag before anything happens. It's hard to explain but it's definitely not the lag of a petrol engine without a turbo.

I did try and search the forum but couldn't find anything. Is this like anything that anyone has heard of? I've tried doing an accelerator reset thing which didn't work.

It's a 2010 A4 2.0TSI Automatic Quattro Avant. It's only done 10k.

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 18, 2014]

3. ScottishS3

ScottishS3 Well-Known Member

[Jan 24, 2014]
    It could just be the power band. The turbo doesn't seem to kick in till mid range revs. Mine was like that until I had the engine rebuilt and the new ecu update and now it's like a totally different car. It has much more power in the lower rev range now and no turbo lag like it did before.
  4. Daggerit

Daggerit Active Member

[Jan 24, 2014]
    I don't know for sure but my s-tronic seems to slip the clutch a lot just after startup when it's cold. Especially noticeable if it is trying to get up a slope as well.
  5. Napbree

Napbree Member

[Jan 26, 2014]
    Interesting, I noticed this morning that when I went to accelerate out of a junction, it revved and then clunked before it went forward. I haven't tried going up a hill yet, but I will try. Sounds like it could be similar?
  6. Daggerit

Daggerit Active Member

[Jan 26, 2014]
    Could be, don't know if it's just a cold clutch or what?
  7. AjM

AjM Living in Blissful Ignorance

[Jan 30, 2014]
    I am not sure about S-Tronic but the Multi tronic 7 speed defo suffers when its cold. But after about 20 secs its fine, it is usually just the first shift.
  8. Anthony566

Anthony566 Active Member

[Jan 30, 2014]
    My 2013 A4 defiantly has something limiting the car on cold startup as you cannot put your foot down when it's just been started it takes a few seconds .... I was assuming they had something in the ecu doing this ?? Or am I wrong and I need to be heading back to the garage ??
  9. Cyprio

Cyprio Member

[Jan 31, 2014]
    No I don't think you're wrong, my car does a similar thing.
    On a cold start, when I'm reversing out of my garage, and then change gear to move forward, there's always a few seconds delay before anything happens.
  10. viceroy

viceroy Member

[Jan 31, 2014]
    It wont be a multitronic because its Quattro.
    Either s-tronic or tiptronic.