1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 2.0 TFSI Tuning box recommendation

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by drseeall, Mar 25, 2013.

1. drseeall

drseeall New Member

[Mar 25, 2013]
    I'm new to the forum. I've searched but not found an answer.

I've had an A6 Avant 1.9 TDI (130ps) for many years but just recently swopped to a 2011 A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI (211ps) with just 4000 miles on the clock.

I love the extra performance but I'm not so keen on the lower mpg :( [ I do know I can't have both!!!! ]

I've been looking at a ECU (Tri-core) remap, but for a few reasons (including concerns over warranty) I have decided against it and am now looking at a removable tuning box instead. I'm more interested in improving mpg rather than power/torque.

Can anyone recommend one for the turbo petrol engine? I'm not looking at the very cheap "resistor" boxes but the likes of these:-

Audi A4 2.0 TFSI 200 BHP / 147kW Petrol & Diesel Chip Tuning Boxes

Chiptuning for Audi A4 2.0 TFSI – RaceChip Chiptuning

detail - professionelles Chiptuning von DTE

Any others? Comments, please?

Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 29, 2014]

3. drseeall

drseeall New Member

[Apr 10, 2013]
    Has no one here got a tuning box on a 2.0 TFSI that can offer any advice?
  4. nbray67

nbray67 Member

[Apr 10, 2013]
    I think most petrol heads go down the remap route buddy.
    Tuning boxes tend to be more for diesel motors, just fitted a DTUK one to our A5 2.0tdi and woulda recommended you to them if you had the diesel lump in yours.
  5. drseeall

drseeall New Member

[Apr 10, 2013]
    Yes, I understand the diesels are far more suited to remapping and/or tuning box.

But are tuning boxes for petrol a definite no-no?

Would I get better mpg if I went for a remap? As I said, I'm more interested in improving economy rather than better/faster performance. From what I've read economy improvement on the petrol motors may be negligible. Is that right?
  6. nbray67

nbray67 Member

[Apr 11, 2013]
    My thinking is that a remap increases BHP in both diesel and petrol cars. Increased BHP generally means a decrease in MPG in petrol cars as people tend to have a heavier right boot. Any car, driven like Miss Daisy will get better improved MPG, tyres inflated correctly can add MPG, motorway / longer journeys increase MPG etc etc... Difficult one mate really.
  7. riggssuzuki

riggssuzuki Active Member

[Apr 11, 2013]
    I dont think a tuning box works of the B8 2.0 TFSi. The ECU is effectively locked. To get it remapped the ECU needs to be removed and the map done directly to the ECU chip. At least it did on mine. As for you cant have both (performance and economy) you can if you have a diesel. It then depends on how you drive after you have the diesel chipped/mapped/box. Take it easy and you should find slightly elevated economy. Put the foot down and it will respond much better.

The remap on my 2.0 TFSi certainly hasnt made the economy any worse.
  8. Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.

Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

[Apr 11, 2013]
    Tuning boxed are completely unsuitable for these engines, it needs to be a remap.

Rick
  9. drseeall

drseeall New Member

[Apr 11, 2013]
    Thanks for all your comments.

I'm driving "like Miss Daisy" ATM. If I have the proper remap and try to continue driving "like Miss Daisy" what percentage improvement in mpg could I expect? ie if the style of driving is unchanged.

However, I expect that with the increased BHP there will be a huge incentive to "put the foot down" and mpg could well decrease. Is this more likely?

Can those with a remap comment on if/how it changed their driving style.

Cheers
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  10. riggssuzuki

[Apr 11, 2013]
    You will see very little change when driven normally. maybe a slight increase. I saw about a 6mpg difference at best for the better. However a remap is for more power and hence some are likely to give it the berries a lot more. I wouldnt say my mpg is any worse than prior to the remap even when i put the foot down. It hasnt changed my driving style at all. I just have more power when i go for an overtake. Mid range 30 to 80 mph time is greatly improved and that was wht i was looking for. Top end speed etc is a pointless discussion on our roads.
  11. drseeall

drseeall New Member

[Apr 11, 2013]
    Wow, 6 mpg improvement would be good. That would be around 15% better for me, as ATM, I'm getting between 35 and 40 mpg depending upon the route. Brim to brim calculation - not relying on computer.

I thought that 12-15% was the figure the diesel boys could expect. It is encouraging that the TFSI could acheive the same. :)

Has anyone else the same experience?
  12. riggssuzuki

[Apr 11, 2013]
    35 to 40 is about what i am getting now. I am unsure if the fuel economy improvement was maybe more to do with the engine 'loosening' rather than the remap....
  13. Ben S3 8P3

Ben S3 8P3 Member

[Apr 11, 2013]
    To be honest I am unsure why you are trying to achieve minimal MPG gains that will only save you a few pounds

35-40mpg as you say you are getting is extremely high for a 2.0 petrol engine.I

I have averaged 23mpg over the last 6 months in the cold winter conditions in my 2.0 TFSI S3.

If MPG is what you wanted then you needed to buy a TDI or a more appropriate engine/car combo

As for tuning boxes, petrol engines are not like diesels, you can not just plug a tuning box into the common fuel rail etc

The cost of a remap would probably outweigh any advantage it would bring you, and might just tempt you to put your foot down more.

If you are really obsessed with improving MPG, try using shell fuelsave. Or V-power (but obviously the cost of v-power outweighs the MPG advantage)

And minimise weight, air con, open windows and drive eco. Tip, let the car slow down in gear, do not pop it into neutral thinking it will save you fuel, it uses more than when the transmission speed is reducing engine load.

:)
  14. johnnythepie

johnnythepie Well-Known Member

[Apr 11, 2013]
    35-40 mpg? Id kill for that in my 2.0tdi
    Ben S3 8P3 likes this.
  15. Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.

Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

[Apr 11, 2013]
    Your're not going to get any significant gains in economy with a petrol turbo car that is remapped. Far more power though!

Rick
  16. riggssuzuki

[Apr 12, 2013]
    +1....Yup ........POWER!!!!!!!