A4 2.0 Tdi shudder on hard acceleration!!!! HELP!!!

alastpa

Reaction score
Hello all
My mother owns a 2005 B7 2.0 TDi with the 6 speed manual gearbox. For the past few months the car has had an intermittent shudder on hard acceleration. It comes and goes at random and occurs only during hard acceleration (eg: when the turbo is boosting) We have had it at the agent...who say that there is nothing wrong!! What could possibly be wrong??? I suspected a tired engine or gearbox mounting, but I have read some horror stories about failed dual mass flywheels etc! Has anyone experienced similar problems and if so how was it solved??? I am worried that ignoring this problem could cause serious damage to the car. Here in South Africa there have been numerous reports of A3's and A4's with failed gearboxes at fairly low mileages.

Hello all
My mother owns a 2005 B7 2.0 TDi with the 6 speed manual gearbox. For the past few months the car has had an intermittent shudder on hard acceleration. It comes and goes at random and occurs only during hard acceleration (eg: when the turbo is boosting) We have had it at the agent...who say that there is nothing wrong!! What could possibly be wrong??? I suspected a tired engine or gearbox mounting, but I have read some horror stories about failed dual mass flywheels etc! Has anyone experienced similar problems and if so how was it solved??? I am worried that ignoring this problem could cause serious damage to the car. Here in South Africa there have been numerous reports of A3's and A4's with failed gearboxes at fairly low mileages.

Could be incorrectly balanced tyres?

Most likely to be fuel starvation; check the fuel pumps - IIRC there's a pump near the tank which can be troublesome. This could cause the symptoms you describe. That sort of thing may well not show up on a computer diagnostic check, therefore the main agents (who are now 'technicians' and not mechanics) won't know anything about it.

Shudder fixed.......i had similar problem on my A6 2002, initially tought is was teh clutch so got that done ( expensives buy needed doing anyway!!0 still didnt fix the shudder. Left it to my mechanic and after a lot of research and suggestions to him from me, the following seems to have been the solution,

1.fit new fuel filter
2.Clean fuel pressure sensor ( no idea where it is so dont ask..;-)) which had a covering of oil, i am told interfered with the rate of fuel input especially under hard accelloration, which lets face it you want when overtaking etc!!
anyway she is flying now, and hopefully willbe upgrading to a 2008 in next week or so, so i can sell now safe in the knowledge that it is not a lemon!!!

hope his helps