1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 2.0 TDI Multitronic brake clunk on hill start

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by sclamb, Jan 24, 2009.

1. sclamb

sclamb New Member

Been reading here for a while and finally have something to ask so here goes with something that I noticed today.

I have a February 08 (B7) A4 2.0 TDI S-Line Multitronic.

At night I park my car on a sloping driveway, and I reverse onto the drive so that the car faces forward ready for the morning. If I select R(everse), back onto the driveway and then stop by applying the foot brake, select D(rive) and then release the foot brake I hear a clunk as soon as the brake pedal reaches the top of its travel. There is no judder, just the sound. If I reverse, then stop by applying the foot brake and then select S(port), N(eutral) or P(ark) I do not hear the clunk when I release the foot brake. If the car is on level ground and I reverse, then stop by applying the foot brake, select Drive and then release the foot brake I do not hear the clunk when I release the foot brake and it reaches the top of its travel.

So, I only hear this clunk when the car is on a slope, I reverse, apply the foot brake, select D(drive) and then release the foot brake. It happens right at the top of the foot brake pedal travel and it is only a sound, there is no judder.

Does anyone else hear this and/or know what causes it.

Thanks for any help.

As an aside, I have remapped the ECU using the Chipped UK ST3 and the Fast Road map. What a difference - it feels like a new car with much smoother power delivery. The re-mapping did set three DTCs in the Instrument, ABS and Air Bag control units as they lost communication with the ECU, but a quick scan and reset with VCDS sorted that out.
  2. pin

pin New Member

3. Igdos

Igdos Member

4. sclamb

sclamb New Member

yes I am facing up the slope, so i guess that it is the hill start assist.

thanks.
  5. pin

pin New Member

I thought I was going mad when I saw Igdos' post ;)

Mine doesn't "clunk" as much as make a noise, noticeable but as you say no judder or anything.
  6. Igdos

Igdos Member

Now having re-read what I'd put I agree 100% :)