a4 1.9tdi s line 100,000miles - should i?

f9aww

Reaction score
Hey guys,

going to have a look tomorrow at a 06plate 1.9tdi s line tomorrow, in the pics that car looks great and the garage says it has a fsh from audi. However what is putting me off is the 100'000 miles it has done. Apparently the car was owned by rep before so it will be all motorway miles. What should i look out for?

i wouldnt worry too much about it having done 100 000 miles, as long as its been maintained properly it will do another 100 000 miles no problem, i had a mk4 golf 1.9tdi, had 111 000 when i bought it, served me well til i sold it at 179000.

go over the service history thoroughly, make sure each invoice matches the car as reg should be on the invoices. if it has no invoices and just a stamped book, phone audi, they will happily tell you what they have done to the car through its life.

if it was a reps car, it should have a very thorough history as they are mostly maintained at no expense.

hope it goes well for you

yeah so far i have heard the engines are great at handling mileage.

100,000 in 4 years is 25,000 miles per year on average. That means its been sitting on my motorway for most its life. I'd much prefer a high miler 4 year old car than a low miler 4 year old car thats been pottered around town stop start traffic and cold short journies, especially when buying a diesel!!!.

I wont get into why, but think about the wear that occurs around town, and how diesels are made for long distance travelling, with EGR valves short journies will only crud up your inlet manifold and cause all sorts of problems.

Mines a 55 plate, and done 156k on the clock. No problems except the oil pump going, but thats a completely different story to do with Audi's notourious BLB engines.

I 100% agree with Fahim. I only buy higher mileage cars. If they've been on the motorway at full temp all day, they will have less engine wear than one that's been run cold for short journeys. Also, motorway miles = lower gear changes and less clutch wear.
Good luck.