1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a4 1.9tdi clutch slipping

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by yendall24, Apr 9, 2011.

1. yendall24

yendall24 Member

[Apr 9, 2011]
    hi all . i am looking for some advice regarding my clutch just recently started to notice that my clutch is slipping it first happend when i had quite a bit of weight in the car and tried to accelerate in 5th gear but since unloading the car it does not do it . i have put it in 1st with the handbrake on and there seems to be no slip other than this the car drives great there are no noises or vibration . so do i have to replace it as a matter of urgency or could it go on for a while also do you think i will only have to replace the friction disc thrust bearing and preasure plate or is it possible the its the dmf thats at fault . also whats your oppinion on swapping the dmf for a solid fly wheel .any advice would be appreciated
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. quattrorossi

quattrorossi New Member

[Apr 10, 2011]
    ive got a solid flywheel on my 1.8 t which I have now run for a year and i have to say whilst it is great at transfering the power, particularly at higher revs, its a lot noisier through the gearbox etc, and its noticeable when accelarating. There is also more vibration, because of the balancing effect on the engine. I would expect this to be worse on a diesel engine as they vibrate more by their very nature as an engine. It also gives a heavier clutch action which can get wearing in a lot of stop start traffic. Im planning to change back to a dmf, as its also too much to my wife to drive the car. Good luck with your decision.
  4. quattro tony

quattro tony Member

[Apr 10, 2011]
    It does sound like your clutch is wearing, both my cars previous and now tdi's were just slipping under load and when i took the clutch out they were wearing but not totally shot, if yours drives ok unladen then it might be ok for a bit but would be worth changing it for piece of mind. If you just get the clutch done , make sure the flywheel gets a proper inspection to make sure its ok, replace if there is any doubt of condition. Personally i don't like solid flywheels, haven't had good experiences with them on the pd's, Its worth getting a new dual mass then you have no worry of noises, vibration. This is my opinion, im sure others out there will disagree with this !
  5. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

[Apr 10, 2011]
    Iv got a great DMFW for a 1.9TDI PD engine if you need one.
  6. yendall24

yendall24 Member

[Apr 10, 2011]
    i could be interested in that how much are we talking about
  7. yendall24

yendall24 Member

[Apr 10, 2011]
    i have just replied to your pm . i think not too hot with the pm procedure
  8. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

[Apr 10, 2011]
    clutch unlikely to slip in 1st gear... best test in from fairly low speed (25pmh-40mph) in 5th or 6th and then nail the throttle from 1k rpm to 2k rpm and get somebody to keep an eye on the revst o see if there's any random surges....

it's probably on it's way out but depending on how much you were pushing it (weight / remap / etc), you may have 6 months or so left in it... start saving either way...
  9. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport