a4 1.8t

warny82

Reaction score
Right cant find enough info but i have 2wd 1.8t b5 an want todo b6 s4 front brake conversion, and b5 s4 facelift rear brake conversion? Has anyone else done this if so can i pls have some info as to what i need, as some people tell me uprights an others say there the same so would love to hear from someone in the know or who has done it, and if u have dont it can i please have some pics, cheers rich

Hi Rich you do need to change the front uprights as the bolt spacing on your standard uprights for the the caliper carrier won't line up with the s4 front brakes.
as for s4 rear brakes I don't see how this would work as your car is a 2WD and the S4 is 4WD so the rear brakes wont fit. there may be other options to upgrade the rear brakes on a 2WD but I know the quattro rear brakes wont fit.

The front uprights on a B5 A4 have incorrect spacing to fit any newer brakes. You need to swap the uprights for either B5 S4 uprights, or B6 uprights to enable fitment of the newer brakes. Once you've done that the front brakes from a B6 will fit, however the Front driveshafts from your 1.8T wont fit the larger uprights. S4 front driveshafts will also need to be used.

On the rear, the disk and hub are combined, so you cant change them.

So can i use b6 non s4 front uprights? Then can still use my shafts?

All B6 uprights, and the B5 S4 uprights, use 82mm bearings and large CV's. Your existing uprights have 75mm bearings and small CV's, so wont fit.

You need the S4 driveshafts.

If you use B6 uprights (S4 or non, they're all the same), rather than B5 S4 ones, you will also need to change the lower front control arms for RS4 ones, as the balljoint is a different size.

Anyone got any ideas on a gd brake conversion front and rear?? For 2wd b5

FWD rears are pretty much all you can have unless you want to be a guinea pig and try the A6 stub axle and seperate bearing hub/disc then you will still need custom caliper spacers for a caliper off your choice.

For what its worth and if your just going to stay K03 with a remap, id probably just stick to doing the 312mm conversion with 'decent' pads all round.

If your going for a power of say 250-300hp then rather then the 345mm B6 S4 go for the 320mm A4 DTM calipers as they can be had for around £80-100 as they are used on some A6 allroads and the DTM lot will probably be ditching them for S4 ones, i ran B6 S4's on my TQS with stock 245mm rear brakes for a little while and it made it feel as though the rear wheels wanted to kiss the fronts so i could only imagine a lesser weighted FWD will be horrible under heavy braking.

I searched for a FWD brake upgrade a while ago and found that the passat guys managed it but not sure if the full axles are interchangable and is probably more hassle than its worth.

Yes thats what the DTM runs its basically the same as the B6 S4 setup but smaller in diameter by 25mm.

Hi All, I,m still working on a upgrade for the fwd rear brakes. I,ve got a set of the old A6 hubs and S4 FL rear calipers and carriers. The problem i was having was the offset on the discs, standard A4,s 83.6mm in height while the S4 are 48mm and S4 b6 are 35.9mm. It was only yesterday that i,ve found a Merc disc which is 300mm x 22mm and a 68mm height so with some homemade trig style brackets this might work.

I,ve got some S4 b6 front calipers, b6 alloy uprights and S4 drive shafts for mine but its always time and money that get in the way. I still need discs and lower arms for the front, then my 16" rims won,t fit but my 18's need tyres so there's always something holding things up. I couldn't resist last week and got a 1z flywheel upgrade off Boost Addict so need to get that machined.

Sweet so these 2.0 tfsi 320mm bolt straight upto b5 uprights?

No they go on to S4 B5 uprights not the smaller spacing uprights largest is 312mm on your uprights anything more and its new uprights. Breakers near me has loads £100 a pair i think he said iirc. Id probably get him down some as im always there when i need out lol and a freind i no used to work there stripping cars for him.

You need caliper carriers from a mk1 TT/S3.

Discs from a B6 A4 3.0 quattro.

Standard A4 B5 pads. (Ferrodo premiers)

Your existing calipers bolt to the carriers so no need to remove the brake hoses or bleed.

The 312mm swap works very well. Simple case of changing carrier for ones from a TT, reuse the existing caliper and add discs from 3 litre B6 platform A4. Start to finish 45 mins to fit including a cuppa and getting tools out.

Suffer with boiled fluid still but it's after about 8 laps of the full circuit at Bedford.

Been doing a bit more searching on the rear brakes. It might be possible to do an upgrade using solid discs from an E class Merc and keep the standard A4 calipers. The A6/100 huds can be had for about £60 a pair from the breakers, discs £50 and some homemade brackets. Could be a cost effective upgrade for us FWD boys.

Ok to pick some more brains. If i can use the bracket from a3/golf to run 312mm discs can i use the porsche adaptor bracket to run boxster 986 front calipers that they advertise on ebay for a3/golf? Obv an expensive experiment if it doesnt fit lol

Probably, yes.

However the pistons on the A4 brake system are larger than the A3, which makes the 996/Boxster calipers a bit unsuitable as they're too small.

Looks interesting that. B7 S4 discs from nextdaybrakes for £83 a pop and an adapter off eBay for the A3 for £100 and a set of 4 pot Porsche Boxster calipers for £250-300

hmm?

The ebay adaptors are usually to allow you to run the stock 312mm disks with the porsche boxster calipers.

I've never seen a bracket to run them with S4 disks. The boxster calipers wont even fit round the 30mm thick S4 disks, they're designed for 25mm disks...

Looking on ebay the only other brackets on there are to fit porsche turbo calipers or 18Z cayennes over stock Golf R32 disks.

Not too difficult to get a bracket made up if you know a competent workshop. Seen a guy on Audizine do it with the S4 disc but he used Vw Touareg callipers. Might ask my mate if I can whip a caliper of his Boxster and see what we have to play with.

Because i only have std front hubs hence tryin find a conversion i didnt have to change loads

The problem is, the tried and tested method is usually the most cost effective, and thats why its the tried and tested method.

As an example, a while back i looked into making something like the common 17Z setup, but using standard B5 hubs. I bought some Megane 225 brembos as they had the correct size pistons (unlike the porsche calipers), and a 320mm A5 brake disk and tried to mount it all up onto a standard B5 upright. The offset difference meant the brake disk touched the caliper mounting lugs on the upright, and there was simply no way it was going to work. I could probably have found a lower offset disk, but i was trying to make it all fit inside the standard wheels, and the extra bulk of the 4 pots plus the shallower disk would have stopped that from happening. In the process i'd also wasted a load of cash. I sold the brembos on, but ofcourse got less than i paid for them, and the disk was unboxed and marked etc from test fitment so that was unreturnable and i ended up selling it on ebay for 99p.

I realised that if you shop around and be patient on ebay, you can buy the correct later model uprights for peanuts, way cheaper than what it would have cost to have bespoke adaptors made up to fit the brembos. I paid £30 each for the front uprights from a 2003 A6, and when you've done that you open up the whole world of off the shelf upgrades that fit later models.

If you really do want to try something yourself, then i'd suggest trying some Merc C320 Sport brake disks, and the megane 225 calipers. I cant guarantee it'll work, but the meganes are cheap enough, and the C320 Sport disks are the correct thickness for the caliper, and should fit the upright as they're a little shallower than the ones i tried.

Personally i wish id of gone ally uprights as wheel bearings are bolted rather then pressed and obviously there lighter.

My scrappers over in oldham has loads so may see what he can do for me when the time comes as there not really a 'wanted' item to normal a4 drivers just folk like us :p

I paid 30 each from ebay. Always worth to make an offer, especially if you are buying both.

When it comes to 18z, unless you can get a used set with discs, pads, bolts and hoses, I would buy just standard black from q7 or touareg and refurb them myself as it's really easy.

Worth to have a look at audisrs as quite a few full sets pop out.