1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 1.8T Sport Avant 1996 N.Yorks

Discussion in 'For Sale/Wanted - Audi Cars' started by mike-a, Oct 30, 2011.

1. mike-a

mike-a Member

[Oct 30, 2011]
    It is with a heavy heart that I'm putting my 96 A4 Avant up for sale as I've just started university and can no longer justify having two cars in the family.SO, here goes!

1996 Audi A4 B5 Avant 1.8 turbo Sport manual (150bhp AEB motor) finished in Autumn Red Metallic.
    Totally standard apart from Sony head unit, black Audi badges and silver belt line trim, no dubious aftermarket air filters, loud exhausts or dump valves. Just a good solid car!
    128K miles but still in occasional use so will climb very slightly.
    Drives spot on and pulls well in every gear. The transmission is slick and silent as is the AEB turbo motor. Brakes and suspension are in fine order, no wandering about either under braking or while driving. All tyres have at least 6-7mm of tread, can measure but not checked at the moment, certainly good for a fair few thousand miles yet.

Bought last November as a second car for me to commute in and occasionally use at weekends this has been a joy to own and has never let me down even through the harsh winter last year. It has tax till next July (8 months remaining) and is mot'd till 22nd January 2012 (three months remaining). Some old mot certificates and receipts for work that I've carried out. I've been in touch with Audi to try and track some service history but the car had a private plate when first bought and Audi say they cant trace it for this reason. Weather this is true or not I'm not sure. The previous owner said It had a full set of front arms fitted in the summer of 2010 but I've no proof of this, certainly drives spot on and doesn't bang over bumps so I've no reason to suspect other wise.
    Since I've had the car I've changed the oil every five thousand miles using fully synthetic oil and genuine VAG filters. It's just had a fresh fill of Mobil oil and a VAG filter within the last thousand miles. The car also has a tow bar and electrics fitted though I have never used them so cannot vouch for the operation of the electrics.

For the last mot I had the following work completed and have receipts to prove:
    Cam belt and tensioners
    Water pump
    One CV joint and both boots
    Front wheel bearing
    Both track rod ends
    Front brake flexy hoses
    No advisories at last mot either.

Further to this I've also carried out the following work my self:
    New diverter valve (five months ago)
    Discs and pads all round (about four months ago)
    Rear wheel bearings (at same time as discs)
    Thermostat
    New electronic mirror switch

The car is a Sport model and as such has the following:
    Remote central locking via a Laserline module for which I have two functioning remotes.
    Full black leather interior
    Black leather sport steering wheel and gear stick gator
    Electric heated mirrors
    Front electric one touch windows
    Electric tilt/slide sunroof
    60/40 split /fold rear seats with headrests
    Drivers and passengers air bags
    Retractable load cover (fully working)
    Original jack and warning triangle
    Fully working, no missing pixels, onboard computer

As stated earlier this car is almost totally original condition. The Sony head unit even matches the red illumination of the dashboard. I've washed and polished the car as often as I could and the paintwork is in very good condition. The leather seats are regularly treated with leather food to keep them shiny and supple and are the most comfortable seats I've had! The car will come fitted with a full (five wheels) set of seventeen inch RS4 reps with a brilliant set of tyres, these are the dark grey wheels in the photos.Not the nineteen inch Monza's seen in some pictures though these are available separately if required. The car has always had a set of mats fitted to keep the carpet clean and these will be included in the sale. I'm very fussy about my cars being clean, as my wife reminds me constantly, so the interior is always spotless and tidy. The interior is an great condition, all clean and well kept. All switches and buttons function as intended and all bulbs on the dash board are present. I also have the original Audi folder and owners manual in the glove box along with a small pot of touch up paint.

Bad Points (every car has 'em!)
    There is a very small bubble at the bottom rear of the offside wing, not broken through the paint and is hardly noticeable unless you bend down to look. There has been a few wings come up on eBay in the correct colour that have been sold for less than £50 if you want to change it. Only other marks are a very small dent near the rear wiper that is so small you only notice it under street light at night and a small dent on the curve of the bonnet just above the near side head light. Again very small and only visible by looking at the reflection in the paint. The front bumper has been bumped slightly and has cracked the paint below the grill. These sound worse than they are but remember this is a fifteen year old car and I think it has survived very well on the whole.

The rear wiper has the stuttering problem which is well documented but this clears itself after five or so wipes and then operates smoothly there after.

The leather is in lovely condition but has slight wear on the drivers bolster where people have slid in rather than got in properly. The leather isn't worn through but is grazed on the surface, I can forward a picture if required. All other seats are in brilliant condition.

As the mirror switch was not functioning when I bought the car I can assume the previous owner was a bit ham fisted trying to remove the door card to try and replace it (unsuccessfully I might add) as the door card has damage round the interior handle. It is not visibly noticeable but does feel slightly flimsy to the touch, not to say it will come off in your hand but some thing to be aware of when closing the door. A replacement door card can be had for about £30 from a breakers.

I only have one key for the car and I never got round to getting a copy made.

The tail gate inner trim panel has a small section broken off. Not noticeable until you open the boot.

Since the rear discs were replaced on two or three occasions while driving on the motorway the ABS warning light has come on. This was traced via VAGCOM to an intermittent signal from the rear offside sensor. The probable cause is that the gap between the sensor and the new reluctor ring on the disc is just a little too large. Never happens round town and the warning light always goes away when the ignition is turned off. The brakes operate fine with the warning on, just no ABS. If you look on the net you can see this is a fairly common fault but as the sensor has been in place for years I didn't want to force it to move and risk breaking it all together.

These are literally the only faults with this car and sound worse than they are but I just want to be honest as possible with any prospective buyers. I can sent pictures of any area or detail you require.

Now, on to the pictures! PLEASE NOTE THAT THE HORRIBLE SILVER TRIM AROUND THE CENTRE CONSOLE HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH AN OEM BLACK VERSION

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now on to the bottom line so to speak.Price!
    I'm asking £1350 but am open to sensible, close offers.
    My email is michaelagar@gmail.com and my phone number is 07834239587.
    The car is located in Scarborough, North Yorkshire but I'm regularly in York and Tadcaster should anyone be serious about viewing the car and at the moment I have a bit of spare time during the week so can meet up with buyers.

Thanks for reading and please don't hesitate to get in touch if you're interested.
    Mike-A
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. mike-a

mike-a Member

[Nov 22, 2011]
    Bump!
  4. mike-a

mike-a Member

[Nov 28, 2011]
    Bump!
    Willing to take £1000 with the 17"s or £1300 with the 19"s
    No tax now as had to sorn it as my insurance has ended.
    Open to offers on the above prices.Try me!
  5. mike-a

mike-a Member

[Dec 19, 2011]
    Up for a very tidy avant.