1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a4 1.8t....busted

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by imported_messaa, Mar 26, 2006.

1. ok my 98 1.8t just stops dead in its tracks the other day between shifts. i put it in gear and let the clutch out and immediately it felt like a busted timing belt. i get home, i pull the cover and its still there tight and secure, but when i turn the motor over it has a new, faster engine sound like it has no compression. so im wondering if its rare for the cam chains to brake. after writing this i think my lazy ass should just pull the valve cover. if anyone has heard of this problem please reply b/c other than the cam chain im lost.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. well the timing chain is ok. what would be the indications that the timing belt has slipped? im unable to find a vag tester and i cant get a compression tester till tommorow.
  4. Charlies604

Charlies604 Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Have u checked the chain tensioner? Thats what went on mine and it went crazy...