1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 1.8t (190 ) quattro puncture

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Shadowman, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Shadowman

Shadowman Active Member

Hi all,

Got a puncture today in one rear tyre which is un-repairable. Really annoyed as the tyre still has about 5 mill tread left, but anyway, I have put the new spare on that side but obviously the rolling radius on that side will be different to the other. I am getting a new tyre fitted Tuesday ( on order ) which is a match for the spare and will only do about 20 miles between now and then, but I am worried that I will damage the drivetrain. I have heard horror stories of differentials etc being ' wound-up ' when tyres are mis-matched like this. The new tyre has about 8 mill tread, the old one approx 5 mill and I remember having read somewhere that this is just about within the tolerance allowed. I also think that the ' Torsen ' diff the Audi has, means that as long as the tyres on the same axle are within this tolerance, then again I should be o.k, but would appreciate someone who knows about these things putting my mind at ease.

Thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. GSCollie

GSCollie Member

If you've got a full size sapre why not use it and your new tyre on the same axle and keep the 5 mm tread one as the spare. Means you won't have any problems so long you buy the same make of tyre.

4. [ QUOTE ]
    If you've got a full size sapre why not use it and your new tyre on the same axle and keep the 5 mm tread one as the spare. Means you won't have any problems so long you buy the same make of tyre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er....... I think he's going to do that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I don't know the answer for sure but would think by it's very design the Torsen diff' would take up the different diameters of tyre................

Maybe the handbook will help? - I'll have a look myself.

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

5. Shadowman

Shadowman Active Member

Hi guys.

As Avus says, I will leave the brand new spare on the one side and replace the opposite side with the new tyre, then use the remaining 'good' used tyre as the spare.

I think that it should be o.k, and I have lowered the pressure on the new tyre side by a few psi to hopefully bring the rolling radii even closer.

Roll on Tuesday, because I wont relax until they are both new tyres on that axle.

Thanks folks.

6. howatsi

howatsi Member

How much tread have you left on the front tyres? If it is a lot less than the new rears, probably less than 4/5mm, I think you may have a problem ,because my understanding is that the torsen diif compensates between front & rear axles not left & right sides, this will cause it wear abnormally as it is trying to compensate for the different radi front & rear.
    Can any techies confirm this?

7. Shadowman

Shadowman Active Member

I spoke to an Audi guy who said that the only problem would concern the tyres on the same axle. The fronts have 5/6 mill and the new rears will have 8mill so the difference is not huge, but again, if anyone knows differently, let me know.