1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 1.8 20v, just starting not to start

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by MOJJO, Apr 12, 2005.

1. MOJJO

MOJJO New Member

[Apr 12, 2005]
    It's on a W plate with 50 k on the clock, used to start everytime like clockwork on first turn of the key, lately though it's become more intermittent, some times it's turning over for ages the picks up then immediately dies, start it 5 mins later and it starts fine. There's a definite smell aswell on start up, not a petrol smell, possibly cat.

The upshot is I have it booked into one of these diagnositic centre to get it plugged in and checked, but someone has told me that this will not show any faults unless there is an engine warning light showing on the dash board?

Any clues guys, plugs, leads, buggered, write off!
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 12, 2005]
    Have the Temp sensor changed as this can cause these sort of problem and it dose not cost much.
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 12, 2005]
    Could be immobiliser sensor in the ignition key barrel. Mine used to play up all the time. The car will start then immediately die, then it just turns over & over without any hint of a firing cylinder. If you do a search on here there was a DIY fix (which I haven't done yet as the car has been OK for months).
    When it happens again, take the key out, put it back in the ignition and leave it for 10 seconds, then start it.
  5. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 12, 2005]
  6. MOJJO

MOJJO New Member

[Apr 12, 2005]
    The AA man who cam out to try and fix it suggested the immobilizer, wh yare these problems so intermittent. Thing is i'll get in it tonight and it will start up fine, i'll try the 'leaving the key in the admission' theory next time it happens.

Thanks