1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3T vs MK3 Golf VR6

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by XXX_18T, Apr 19, 2003.

1. amoffat

amoffat Member

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif Rich

I challenge anyone to beat the 60ft time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif
  2. amoffat

amoffat Member

Jesus christ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, was that rocket propelled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif, thats fecking fast and I'm impressed.

Wonder what an RS4 would do the first 60ft in? Or a Scoob STi PPP?
  3. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

Hey Dave...
    If that's what a standard S4 (cough, cough, splutter..) does with you driving...imagine what a chipped S4 would do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  4. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ess_Three said:
    Hey Dave...
    If that's what a standard S4 (cough, cough, splutter..) does with you driving...imagine what a chipped S4 would do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
  5. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

Costa,
    Stick your old 16's on and that will shave a few tenths off of your 1/4 time, and with the reduced rolling resistance you should get a slightly quicker start in theory. I think I would look at running low 30's on the tyres reather than the mid 30's as normal, because you're not interested in the rolling resistance (From conering) but more rubber to tarmac contact.

Rich I think has the same driving style as me change up at around 6k as past this point it starts to fade off, any earlier and I feel that you loose quite a bit of speed.

Keep that turbo spinning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  6. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Keep that turbo spinning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the plan!

Rich
  7. XXX_18T

XXX_18T Member

Hey guys we raced sort of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Since this was my first time at the strip i was fully pumped!

Stands full, announcers on the mike, the smell of burn rubber in the air... it was a busy nite with around 150 cars racing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif this meant i managed to get 2 runs max.

Well it was my turn against my mate but it wasnt to be i had to race by myself as the the other track was closed due to an engine problem from tthe previous car spilling oil on to the track.

So i managed to get my car on the pad and the marshall opens the door and tell me to make sure my helmet was on tight and closes it as soon as he closes it the lights go off (not fair as i wasnt exctly concentrating on my launch) the car spins for about a second and im off as im driving in the night i couldnt exactly see where the track ended but saw some flashing lights ahead so I slowed down (i slowed b4 the finish silly me)

I managed to get 15.6 @ 94 MPH which i wasnt happy about, my friend that raced after me got 15.2 @ 94MPH also. So the next run i was pumped and this time it was side by side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We get on the pad lights go green this time my launch was more shocking than the first i see my mate go ahead but i ended up catching him up to 30 MPH after that i pass him and then i see him in the distance i knew something went wrong but i kept racing making sure i kept going past the finish!

I managed a 15.8 @ 96MPH i wasnt happy at the least, also my friend had a problem with his gearbox linkage came apart some how.

Ah well it was my fist time and a lot of people reckon i did well for my first time. my main problem was my launches which shows against my terminal speed, people say i can get under 15's and predict i can make 14.8 as cars with the same terminal speeds get 14.6's.

I'll be going in 2 weeks again hopefully it wont be as pact and i can get more runs in so i can get more practices. The thing i learned its a differnt story from street to track! On the street ive whooped Supras, Skylines, S3/TT's, and Rex's. but on the strip with adrenalin pumping and all it can be very nerve racking, but this time ill be ready

cheers
    Costa......

8. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

I agree with you to a certain point, but would say my 0-60 time was a fair bit quicker than yours as I left the line after you, but managed to catch you. So either the range of our chips is that different that you have a higher top end on the 1/4.......
    But a 15.4 1/4 is pretty swift, so maybe the gear was out on my lane and not yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
    Anyone know how they do the 0-60 timing?

Moff, what's your thoughts as you did see the race?

Rich, I might try to make it to the next santapod meet, so we can do battle! But they don't do 0-60 times!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
  9. RichA3Turbo

If we disregard the actual race and where i was in comparison to you and consider only the times:
    Me: 0-60 - 7.6
    1/4mile - 15.4

Gambba: 0-60 - 6.4
    1/4mile - 15.2

The times above (as they were) would suggest my my quarter mile time was correct (was 15.5 at SP),and gambba's is slightly quicker than mine, which would makes teh 1/4mile time about right... But wot i dont get is the 0-60 time which i think is way out on both! 6.4 is too quick and 7.6 is too slow... 6.4 is quicker than an S3 (210) whci i dont believe can be right... not with a proper S3 launch anyway... As i have tried many times, it is very difficult (VERY) to get a really quick start due to wheelspin. I think you should come over for SP on august 3rd... i trust SP timinggear more... its real times for a start not estimated!

Rich
  10. XXX_18T

XXX_18T Member

Hey Rich no need to get cut maybe u did what i did and stuffed ur launch.

Also i disagree with u on the S3 comment a chipped A3 always beats an S3 (210) with my mods i beat S3 (225) no probs.

It all comes down to the launch.

What were ur top speeds?
  11. RichA3Turbo

[ QUOTE ]
    Drill said:
    Hey Rich, don't forget that Gambba had a tailwind whereas you had a headwind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also have a few kg of sub in the boot!
  12. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Drill said:
    Hey Rich, don't forget that Gambba had a tailwind whereas you had a headwind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also have a few kg of sub in the boot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I just remebered when I beat you I had the stereo and Air con on full whack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

But seriously, I did have an exhaust leak, which has been present for a while and it was between the manifold and turbo, so i must of been loosing some power...but all's sweet now.
  13. s8n

s8n Member

Blah Blah

The point has been proven

Seb's VR6 15.2 Qtr
    Costas A3 15.6 Qtr

Proof is in the pudding, or time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  14. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    s8n said:
    Blah Blah

Seb's VR6 15.2 Qtr
    Costas A3 15.6 Qtr

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah blah blah...nothing!

Gambba's time 15.24 seconds for the 1/4.

Proff is in my time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/piss.gif
  15. IML337

IML337 New Member

[ QUOTE ]
    s8n said:
    Blah Blah

Seb's VR6 15.2 Qtr
    Costas A3 15.6 Qtr

[/ QUOTE ]

geez keep your pants on... Didn't you watch the video? You know as well as the rest of us that those times are absolute ****, especially A3T times. A stock Cooper S can do 15.6...

On reflection I believe that Costa's A3T might just have the edge on Seb's VR6 to be honest. Especially because Seb's interior was BARE bar the drivers seat - all Costa did was empty his boot.