1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3s in the magazines

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by h5djr, May 2, 2007.

1. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

In case anyone is interested there is a test of the A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-140 S-Line in this month's copy of Audi Driver magazine.(the one published and sold by Autometrix Publications and not the free one given out by Audi).

They also say that next month's issue, due out on 6 June, will include a road test on an A3 2.0TDI with the 170PS engine.

This week's Auto Express magazine also gives some very basic details of the new A3 Cabriolet and says it is likely to debut at the Geneva Motor Show next March with UK sales starting before the end of that year.
  2. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

They're right on the ball aren't they,testing a model that's been out for two years...?!??
    Next month,the Austin Maxi 1750HL.

;-)
  3. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

I expected a sarcastic reply from you Bowfer and I wasn't disappointed. They often decide to re-test the latest version of particular models.

In the same magazine is the editor's experiences driving the new A5 and S5 and also a road test on the new Q7 4.2. Perhaps that's more up to date for you, but nothing to do the this forum!

There is also another article about that gives details of the current VW Group oil specifications that mentions Millers Oils.
  4. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

5. normski

normski Member

6. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Bowfer's problem is that nearly 3 years ago he decided to have a new A3 as a company car. He chose the model he wanted without bothering to read very much about it or having a test drive. He hated it almost from day one because the DSG did not behave in the way he thought it should and he has been negative about just about everything since but because it's a company car he has had to live with it for nearly 3 years.

Hopefully soon he will chose his new Alfa or BMW or Ford or whatever and he will be happy again and we will probably hear no more from him.

Bowfer, I know you hate your car and it's DSG and you know I love my A3 and in particular it's DSG, but lets not get into another long draw 'discussion' about it. I'm sure you'll be much happier and more positive when you eventually get your new car. I really hope that you enjoy it, whatever it is.
  7. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

So where do you draw the line then ?
    Constantly fill the magazine with old tests,just in case someone hasn't seen them before ?
    I buy £40+ of magazines every month (bikes/cars/home entertainment).
    I can't recall any that re-test two year old models that haven't had any significant changes at all !
    That's just filling pages,at best.
    Ripping you off,at worst.

The rest of the stuff David mentions,great.
  8. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

Some of the digital camera magazines do this regularly.

Any magazine covering a market where new products are not released at a manic rate is going to have the same problem. They're not intended to be the type of magazine you buy on subscription every month, but rather that which you buy on odd occasions when there's something specific you wish to read about, just as you'd buy a digital camera magazine when you're in the market for a new one.
  9. Spin140

Spin140 Active Member

I'm happy to read another review of a 2 year old model or older in fact as a review is the writers opinion and as proved on here by David and Bowfer, opinions differ greatly so I'm always happy to get an update.
  10. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Only if you buy the magazine. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's as simple as that.

The magazine is not only aimed at new car buyers. Also in this month are articles on Owning the Series 3 Coupe, Mercedes-Benz A-Class versus the A8,DTM Debut, Auto Union racers - part 7, changing the Cambelt on an S6, the A5 and S5 and a test on the Q7 4.2 I've already mentioned, letters, Air-conditioning and coolant leaks, the possible Porsche take over of VAG Group and more.

The A3 test takes up 6 pages out of an 82 page magazine. Certainly no rip-off.
  11. benw123

benw123 Moderator

Exactly. Buyers of a particular car might be late to scene and would appreciate an up-to-date review. Besides, if it's in Audi Driver magazine, what would you expect? Audi can't release a new model every month.

And for what it's worth, I think Bowfer's commentary about his car is useful (for some of the time at least!). Otherwise this forum may become too one-eyed for the four rings. Helps keep a real perspective on what owning and driving the A3 is all about.