A3 won't start - starter motor problems

Allygal

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping someone can assist. My car wouldn't start the other day and my Father in Law's checked it out (ex-mechanic) and said it needs a new starter motor. He's just been fitting the new one this morning but the car still won't turn over. He's checked the battery is ok and no fuses has gone. Does the computer need re-setting to get it started again?? It's at the front of my house so not at a garage
Thanks!

Last edited:
Allygal, the starter motor is energised by closing a relay contact. The relay, I believe, is located in the relay panel in the engine compartment. My wiring diagram shows it to be 'Terminal 50 relay'. When you operate the ignition switch starter position, you should hear a 'click' from this relay. If it clicks, check the wiring from the relay panel to the starter. If it does not click, the FB28 fuse (40 amps) should be checked. FB3 (5A) is also involved in the starting circuit, so check that too. These fuses are also on the relay panel I believe. Far as I know, you do not need to change any computer settings if you replace the starter motor. Good luck.

Thanks for your help. He has checked all the fuses on the relay panel, is there anywhere else other fuses could be? There is a click when you turn the ignition but that's it. He is thinking he's been given a faulty reconditioned starter motor.

Take off the battery connectors and clean the terminals with sandpaper. Sometimes the battery can be ok but if there is corrosion on the terminals not enough current can pass to energise the starter. If this works you will have warning lights on the instrument panel but after a few hundred yards they should go off.

Have you tried using jump leads ?

Yep tried jump leads and that doesn't work. But I will tell him your suggestion for tomorrow, thanks : )

OK Allygal, you either have a bad relay (internal contacts), or a bad motor. Get a voltmeter onto the motor and see if you get 12V when the key is turned to the start position. That should tell you something. You can also bench-test the motor with some jump leads. If you do try this, make sure you secure the motor well before energising it, as they can jump off the bench. Let us all know how it transpires.

My starter has stopped working can't make out the part number can anyone help ?