1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 v BMW1 again!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by ginner, Jan 26, 2005.

1. ginner

ginner Member

[Jan 26, 2005]
    After much deliberation and hours researching both cars, I had to plump for the A3. It is just makes you feel pampered. The interior looks awesome, and the exterior clean lines of the A3 are in a different league.

To be honest I really wanted to like the BMW, but couldnt......excellent drive but couldnt get used to the odd shape.

Anyway, I have just seen a picture of the new Chrysler PT Cruiser, I thought this car was a awful before, but cant help thinking it looks just like the 1 series.................take a look and see what you think.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/spy-shots-2004/C/chrysler-pt-cruiser.html
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 24, 2014]

3. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Jan 27, 2005]
    When researching my new company car I didn't even bother with BMW.
    I want nothing to do with them.
    They are Sony are both companies that trade on their names whilst the competition has either caught up or even passed them.
    Even the fun of rear wheel drive (how I miss opposite lock...) couldn't get me near a BMW showroom.
    As for the looks of the 1 series...
    If that had anything other than a BMW badge it wouldn't sell a single unit.
  4. Adrie

Adrie New Member

[Jan 27, 2005]
    I was first going for a 1 but I was very disappointed after a test drive and here's why:

- absolutely no room in the back. They should have made it a 3-door.
    - terrible view while driving backwords. A very small rear window and the rear mirrors are badly shaped.
    - interior looks cheap
    - standard seats are as flat as a snooker table.
    - the diesel engines have a lot of horse power but you don't feel this power while driving. It couldn't excite me at all even with the pedal pressed to the end.
    - I couldn't rest my arm on the door with window closed for longer then 2 seconds. It's just too small.
    - It's a completely new car and this means a higher risk for smaller (and bigger) problems.

Now you know why I ordered the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gifA3 Sportback/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif
  5. Milt

Milt New Member

[Jan 27, 2005]
    I've also decided on an A3 (SE 2.0TDI DSG Sportback, 17" 5 Spoke Star wheels), test drove the Sport but couldn't live with the ride - hopefully putting 17" wheels on the SE suspension will be a good compromise between Sport suspension and SE - will find out in ~8 weeks

Anyway, didn't bother test driving the 1-series - sat inside and thought the interior looked nice, but felt made from re-cycled cardboard !!! No room in the back for the kids and they'll be very common very soon (not the kids, the 1-series)
  6. A4_2point4

A4_2point4 New Member

[Jan 27, 2005]
    Yak,

Sales figures were published in Which? magazine - and by model - not just overall by manufacturer.
    Audi made record sales too, but you have to consider where they stand relative to other cars to get the overall picture.

BMW's good overall figures last year are largely attributable to the 3-series - about to be replaced by the Bangle version !
  7. CJ A4

CJ A4 Active Member

[Jan 27, 2005]
    Well i guess its a case of watch this space but from what i have seen of the new 3 series looks damn nice!
  8. yak

yak Member

[Jan 28, 2005]
    Are you sure then A4_2point4, that those figures are even real? Or are you just referring to something in your country? I'm talking about whole world now, not just UK. And there are model based information also, as you wanted. I already pasted that 5-series has shown grown, and here's more data:

Since its market launch in January 2004, 92,267 BMW X3 vehicles have already been sold. 21,043 of the new BMW 6 Series were delivered to customers up to the end of the year. Of these, 12,335 were coupés and 8,708 convertibles. 39,247 of the BMW 1 Series, which has been available since September, were sold. Sales of the BMW 3 Series also developed successfully – in the last full production year, 449,670 vehicles were sold (prev. yr.: 528,358 / minus 14.9%). With the BMW 5 Series BMW Group achieved sales of 229,593 units, representing an increase of 23.8% over the previous year (185,481).

Oops ooh, old 3-series is actually losing it's appeal, -14,9%. Now please get your facts right, and check your source of information. This information is from BMW itself,

Ouh, and 1-series looks dynamic, when are we going to see new cars from Audi being distinctive?

- Yak
  9. A4_2point4

A4_2point4 New Member

[Jan 28, 2005]
    Yak,

Apologies.
    The figures weren't in Which?, they were in a recent car mag.
    However, I believe the source data was from SMMT for UK car sales in 2004.
    (So yes, UK sales figures only).

As I said though, it is insufficient to just look at BMW sales in isolation, you have to look at market share. And, in the UK at least, that is slipping badly (in favour of Audi and Merc mainly).

By the way, are you sure you are in the right forum ?
    Maybe you want the BMW forum next door !
  10. Milt

Milt New Member

[Jan 28, 2005]

I may be in the minoriity, but, like the styling of the 1-series, it's certainly fresh and distrinctive - and one of Bangles better efforts (he also styled the Fiat Coupe, which was controversial and a love/hate looking car) - however the overall 1-series concept is flawed when you try a fit a family into one's 1.

Anyways, I decided for the A3 more for the DSG gearbox and quality of the interior rather than the exterior look. A3 sportback looks like a small estate, let's be honest and ignore the marketing "life-style sportback" nonsense.
  11. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Jan 28, 2005]
    " ignore the marketing "life-style sportback" nonsense "

Have you seen the A3 spotback brochure ?
    It is without a doubt THE worst brochure I have seen.
    It gives you endless 'lifestyle' photos of windsurfers and even features technical drawings and technical descriptions of a wetsuit and a surfboard !!!
    Who cares !?!?!?!?
    Tell us about the car !!!
    Audi called me last night about the brochure.
    I confirmed I had received it.
    I confirmed I had ordered a car,but I also told them the brochure was the worst I've seen.
    It's awful.
  12. StephaneS

StephaneS Member

[Jan 28, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]

I may be in the minoriity, but, like the styling of the 1-series, it's certainly fresh and distrinctive - and one of Bangles better efforts (he also styled the Fiat Coupe, which was controversial and a love/hate looking car).

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm with you I think it looks good. refreshing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  13. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[Jan 28, 2005]
    Yeah that borchure is pants, especially compared to most BMW brochures were you can remove the colours of paint, inlay and fabric to make your perfect car. Audi do seem behind there.
  14. yak

yak Member

[Jan 28, 2005]
    A4_2point4, ouh I'm in the right forum, even if I like BMW's new styling and think they're doing the right thing. I also have an Audi, oh right, I should be in the BMW-forum? I don't have BMW anymore, doh.

Anyway, Steph/milt I agree with you, I think it's pretty good looking, but it's not a good car in it's price category /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak
  15. ginner

ginner Member

[Jan 28, 2005]
    Guys im not sure this debate is about BMW v Audi.....I think it is more to do with the love/hate 1 series. You either love it or hate it and im not sure this is the best marketing strategy. However I hate it and for that reason spent my money on an Audi, thats not to say I wont invest in a BMW in the future but unlikely at the moment with their current batch of ugly looking cars.
  16. yak

yak Member

[Jan 31, 2005]
    4WD brings comfort to the driving, at least in winter conditions. Safety also, if you know how to drive it.

It's not just about boy racing, but helps in such conditions, that you need to get up some hill, which is covered by lots of snow, or getting out of the parking lot after snowing.

Not sure if you ever get such conditions in UK, but here it's normal. FWD will do, but 4WD is a lot nicer.

- Yak
  17. jungle

jungle Member

[Jan 31, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    4WD brings comfort to the driving, at least in winter conditions. Safety also, if you know how to drive it.

It's not just about boy racing, but helps in such conditions, that you need to get up some hill, which is covered by lots of snow, or getting out of the parking lot after snowing.

Not sure if you ever get such conditions in UK, but here it's normal. FWD will do, but 4WD is a lot nicer.

- Yak

[/ QUOTE ]

Steeve - Yak - this is music to my ears. I'm testing a Q this weekend...
  18. GibsonLP

GibsonLP New Member

[Feb 1, 2005]
    AFAIK - the A3 has a programmable haldex system for it's quattro (unlike the nice torsen that comes with the bigger brothers...)

A friend of mine who is working with superchips (he is actually helping them with stuff) knows how to change the power distribution ratio to 90-10 (90 to the rear...) so I could have a nice button that says "BMW" on the dash and press it when I wish to turn off the automatic power distribution (and ESP...)

As for the snow - I wish... other than jerusalem once every five years and the "Hermon" (our only tiny Ski resort) we have virtually no snow around.
  19. StephaneS

StephaneS Member

[Feb 1, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    A friend of mine who is working with superchips (he is actually helping them with stuff) knows how to change the power distribution ratio to 90-10 (90 to the rear...) so I could have a nice button that says "BMW" on the dash and press it when I wish to turn off the automatic power distribution (and ESP...)

[/ QUOTE ]

It is impossible to transfer over 50% of the torque to the rear with the haldex /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    check here and read the post from "Mark R":
    http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?at=0&Number=25855&page=&fpart=1&vc=1
    The best ever technical thread on this forum
  20. GibsonLP

GibsonLP New Member

[Feb 1, 2005]
    Thanks for the interesting article!

However, from the article you just referred me to:
    "Haldex claim 100% torque transfer to the rear is possible. Is it? Some
    people dispute this, but I believe it requires 100% slip of the front wheels
    for this to be the case. i.e. In real conditions it would never happen
    , the
    more realistic split is 50-70% under full load and some slip. I came to this
    conclusion because the front wheels are always driven."

The bold part says that a real-life situation would never make the haldex utlize 100% torque transfer to the rear wheels and that a 100% slip of the front wheels is the only thing that might cause such torque transfer.

This means that the system wouldn't do that automatically, but it strictly says that technically it is possible, thus: with someone programming it's software to do it - it will simply do it...
  21. StephaneS

StephaneS Member

[Feb 1, 2005]
    not sure it's a matter of reprogramming the software.
    The front wheels are always driven by the engine, so unless there is some way to disengage the front wheels they always get at least 50% unless there is some physical slip (not simulated or measured by a sensor) of the front wheels