A3 "Unfixable Rattle" Advice needed.

Hyosung

Reaction score
So I've got a 1.4 A3 TFSI (Stronic 122PS) and I've been having a rattle at low revs as many others have. So I took it to my dealership and had a mechanic sit in it with me.

We started talking and he said that the rattle is just a symptom of the gearbox and every car with the gearbox I have also has the rattle and it is not fixable... I mentioned the wastegate rattle to him and he said all 2014 versions of the car have that fix applied to them from the factory so it couldn't possibly be that...

Does this sound like he is just trying to get out of doing work by lying to me.. If so should I complain to Audi UK?

If it does turn out to be unfixable would I have a legal leg to stand on to get a different car as I feel they have mis-sold me my current car as I definitely wouldn't of bought it if I was made aware of the rattle from the beginning.. And the car I test drove did not have the same rattle..

Any advice appreciated.

-H

Legally the dealer has to investigate and come up with a remedy....if the mechanic is referring to it as a "symptom of the gearbox", then you would think that many others with your type of Gearbox would have the same issue? They have an obligation to report findings to Audi UK and also investigate if there are any Tech Bulletins for this issue....

How would you describe the rattle exactly? The Waste-gate actuator rod sounded like some some tiny pebbles being shaken in a tin :) What was the build date of your car?

Legally the dealer has to investigate and come up with a remedy....if the mechanic is referring to it as a "symptom of the gearbox", then you would think that many others with your type of Gearbox would have the same issue? They have an obligation to report findings to Audi UK and also investigate if there are any Tech Bulletins for this issue....

How would you describe the rattle exactly? The Waste-gate actuator rod sounded like some some tiny pebbles being shaken in a tin :) What was the build date of your car?

I guess it could be pebbles in a tin, but to me it sounds more like hollow plastic banging against metal, I personally think it is the wastegate rattle and the guy who told me it wasn't doesn't really have a clue.

If I was in your position I would take it to another dealership and ask them to take a look, get a second opinion.

Or you could tell the service or warranty manager that you're not satisfied and would like an Audi technician to listen to it.