A3 TS Quattro

bkmullin

Reaction score
I have a 2000 A3 T-Sport Quattro which I bought in Nov last year, and love it. (Big difference from the 90bhp Audi 80 2.0 I had before) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm planning a remap with an Upsolute Chip (www.upsolute.com) in a couple of months time. Has anyone any comments on the Upsolute chip? Apparently it's good for Diesel engines, but have heard no comments on Petrol cars.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows much about the Quattro system. Is the power distributed evenly between front and back in normal driving, or is it mostly at the front?

[ QUOTE ]
Bri said:
I have a 2000 A3 T-Sport Quattro which I bought in Nov last year, and love it. (Big difference from the 90bhp Audi 80 2.0 I had before) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm planning a remap with an Upsolute Chip (www.upsolute.com) in a couple of months time. Has anyone any comments on the Upsolute chip? Apparently it's good for Diesel engines, but have heard no comments on Petrol cars.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows much about the Quattro system. Is the power distributed evenly between front and back in normal driving, or is it mostly at the front?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

The haldex system is electronically controlled, so is not permanent 4wd like the A4/S4/S6 .etc. Cars with haldex are primarily fwd and the rear is only engaged when it detects that it is needed i.e is slippery conditions, pulling away fast .etc. So when just driving along, the rear wheels are not being powered at all.

Take a look over http://www.haldex-traction.com/ for a better explanation!

Cheers

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
The haldex system is electronically controlled, so is not permanent 3wd like the A4/S4/S6 .etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Didn't know they were 3wd?????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
So when just driving along, the rear wheels are not being powered at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not absolutely correct. About the only time there is 100% power to the front wheels is when travelling along at constant speed and when braking (Haldex uncouples then). During cornering and acceleration there is a small difference in rotation speed between the front and rear wheels which then immediately (well within 15degrees of a wheel rotation) sends torque to the rears. The difference in rpm required to activate the Haldex is tiny - such differences are generated as soon as the vehicle starts to turn or accelerate. When accelerating weight transfer front to rear alters the rolling circumference of the wheels - fronts get bigger rears compress and get smaller. Exactly how much torque transfers varies on the software setup but the bigger the difference in rotationanl speed the more the torque transfer.

It does NOT require slippage or spinning of a wheel to produce a torque transfer.

It is a VERY dynamic setup and in very twisty driving I believe the Haldex is more effective than the torsen although the torsen is less likely to bite you as ultimately it can only transfer a maximum of 70% to either axle.

Exiting a wet roundabout on full throttle makes the car feel almost like a RWDer - sweet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]
Audidude said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
So when just driving along, the rear wheels are not being powered at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not absolutely correct. About the only time there is 100% power to the front wheels is when travelling along at constant speed and when braking (Haldex uncouples then). During cornering and acceleration there is a small difference in rotation speed between the front and rear wheels which then immediately (well within 15degrees of a wheel rotation) sends torque to the rears. Exactly how much is unclear but the bigger the difference in rotationanl speed the more the torque transfer.

It does NOT require slippage or spinning of a wheel to produce a torque transfer.

It is a VERY dynamic setup and in very twisty driving I believe the Haldex is more effective than the torsen although the torsen is less likely to bite you as ultimately it can only transfer a maximum of 70% to either axle.

Exiting a wet roundabout on full throttle makes the car feel almost like a RWDer - sweet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok ok... but you get the idea!!