A3 to S3

Sock

Shark in a Goldfishes clothing
Reaction score
Been promoted and doing a lot less miles now so thinking about swapping from my A3 2.0 TDI to an S3 quattro sport back.

Just wondered what people's opinions are?

Also going back to manual as not really feeling the DSG

Are you looking at new or second hand.

Personally if I were in your position I'd have one on the drive already but then be thinking about the new model coming out and affecting the residuals. Having said that the new S3 is going to be a long long way off and why put off having fun you only live once. Buy and enjoy :)

It will be a used one, looking at a White 09 plate.

Never driven a 4 wheel drive before and must admit after having a few diesels I am eager to try a petrol again.

Only doing about 8k miles a year max so no real benefit from a derv, plus it barely gets warm by the time I'm at work lol

Well if you like your A3 then lets face it , a S3 is going to be a safe bet.:) you need to go and try a manual one and have a think. Its a big step going back to petrol/manual after DSG/diesel. It WILL double your fuel costs and it will only get more expensive as time goes on now. Cant see petrol dropping much.lol expect higher tax and running costs as well ie: tires etc. that said if money is not a problem then go for it. You only live once and owning that type of car will be out of the question in 10 years time believe me :)

Last edited:
I did the same - went from a 2.0TDI to an S3 based on promotion, working closer to home, break-up and wanting something new and fun!!

I do not regret it one bit and still love it after nearly owning it 2 years! Will be here for a good while yet!

Lol I too am going through a break up and have a 19 month daughter ( from relationship before the lastest break up lol ) which is why I want the 4 door as it's a ball ache climbing in and out the back of my 3 door.

It's not that money is no object but I have had a considerable pay rise and the thought of future modding has my mouth watering :p

The derv has been a great car but lacks something in the performance compared to a hi bhp petrol ( bet I'm gonna get hammered for that :D )

My girlfriends nephew (4) is in and out of my 3 door S3 - I have to put in his bucket seat everytime and it doesn't bother me at all and easy enough. I wouldn't want a 4 door car near me!

Lol I was hoping for a comment like that!

I don't want a 4 door but I'm trying to be grown up and practical

Shall I just say **** it and stick her in the boot?

I'm going from a 2.0T quattro to an S3 (both Sportback). Trust me, you will love it - but if you already have S-Tronic, then make sure you get it again.

As much as modern diesels have come one in recent years Im only in one out of necessity.
If you dont need a derv and have the budget to run a fast petrol and do low annual miles then dont hesitate. I had an S3 for 3 years and enjoyed every minute right up until the day I sold it.
Im enjoying the punchy power and high mpg that you get from a diesel at the minute but it isnt quite the same wringing a diesels neck as a petrol.

Good luck
Paul

S3, 3dr, Petrol guzzling, £76 a tank beast = Massive Win! wouldnt look back!!

LOL thanks folks.

I have spoken to the dealer and they have one in with quite a few extras, folding mirrors ( oooh ), sat nav, cruise control etc and for a price I can afford.

I have had a few diesels but I miss the smoothness and the sound of a petrol. I have had a few issues with the auto gear box and it has put me off, plus I keep wanting to change gear and even though the acceleration smoothness is great I find myself thinking "I would of changed gear then" quite a lot so I will try the manual and see how it feels.

I went from an A3 2.0T S-tronic to an S3 Sportback Manual and absolutely love the change.
Fresh looks, fresh interior, better performance and stopping.
Can only imagine the thrill of coming from a diesel.

Enjoy!

Well I been to see it today and love it :)

Same colour as my A3 but slightly different in the styling etc. little interior differences making up enough to show its a new car plus it got all the lighting packs on it which the derv has none.

There is a couple of scuffs on the wheels but they are refurbing them for me (plus it got 4 brand new tyres on), apart from that it looks mint.

They are cleaning it up for me etc so I can give it the full once over & test drive on saturday :)

Well I been to see it today and love it :)

Same colour as my A3 but slightly different in the styling etc. little interior differences making up enough to show its a new car plus it got all the lighting packs on it which the derv has none.

There is a couple of scuffs on the wheels but they are refurbing them for me (plus it got 4 brand new tyres on), apart from that it looks mint.

They are cleaning it up for me etc so I can give it the full once over & test drive on saturday :)

Still no explanation on "sock"

Oh right, do you mean my username lol?

If so its a nick name I was given at work as I tend to talk a lot lol

Started as put a sock in it and quickly got shortened to Sock and has stuck ever since lol :)

he was a wrestler in the mid 90s. total psycho, took a bump from 16ft (enough to break both your legs and rip your aorta from your heart). his "sidekick" was a gym sock ("Mr. Socko") he used to suffocate his opponents with.

LOL never heard of him,

More of a Stone Cold Steve Austin fan myself :p