1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 - Tims

TimG Apr 17, 2011

1. TimG

TimG Active Member

So true, although the TT was lavished with top notch stuff. Im being a cheapskate on the A3 :laugh:

Man I miss that car, just looking through some pics :bye:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kelza likes this.
  2. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator Regional Rep Gold Supporter Audi A3 Team Brill Red

thats what i said when i bought my car it lasted a whole 3 days before i bought my alloys hahaha

3. TimG

TimG Active Member

Yeah, pulled the ball joint out to seperate the bracket from the mirror section & masked the mirror itself. Just put it back together to go on 2 moro.

4. FranA3

nice one dude , one last question how does it come off the windscreen does it just turn and pull off

5. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

Yeh I remember the TT bro! My cousin's 350bhp effort:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. TimG

TimG Active Member

Just twist it mate, as Warren advised me earlier, be careful and do not pull it!

7. TimG

TimG Active Member

V. nice. Think I recognise the plate from the TT forum, but dont think he posted on there much.

8. FranA3

legend thank you matey

9. N8

It was me posting on there! He never went on there.

10. MOOSH

MOOSH Member

Tim looking good mate! As the others have said i cant believe the difference lowering it has made to the look, love the colour of it to and the fat 5s! Keep it going mate i am in a similar situation i bought the A3 to save money from a vxr but its not saving me anything i cant help but modd it but i am trying to do the subtle easy stuff first...

I will need to get a thread done to...

Keep it up pal its looking sweet and the TT was gorge...

11. TimG

TimG Active Member

Cheers dude.

Refitted the mirror today, looks loads better. I want black interior everthing else now! You reckon I can spray my headlining? :laugh:

12. warrenlord

warrenlord Member

you can dye it all mate.

13. TimG

TimG Active Member

Have you died/ sprayed anything else on yours mate?

14. Ian_tdi

Ian_tdi Member

think dyeing it can leave it patchy? Might be better to try and source an s line one? A3 looks awesome I love it, but then the tt wasn't exactly a minger was it?!

Are you local to g werks?

15. TimG

TimG Active Member

I might keep an eye out for S line bits I think. Theres quite a lot needed to change it all though inside! Im about 40 mins from G-Werks, not too bad.

16. Ian_tdi

Ian_tdi Member

In which direction? I get my work done there (coilovers well overdue and getting it done in next few weeks) and found them to be pretty decent. Very impressed with your car and a similar set up to what mine will be so happy about that!

17. FranA3

just dye it , much cheaper if need be go over it a few times

18. warrenlord

warrenlord Member

Tim am in the middle of doing it all, £25/30 for 5 litres, up to now ive stripped out the rear pillars and two fronts doing all them then moving onto the rest, its abit messy but worth it.

19. TimG

TimG Active Member

East (ish). I like them there. Nice to go somewhere that 'gets' modded cars rather than a regular garage that dont always get what your trying to achieve. Some nice cars to poke around too, namely Darrens Mk4 for one!

Fran, I was reading a thread recently on here where someone had died theres and it really stunk! Was that you?

20. FranA3

no it wasnt dude but i know who you are on about just cant remember who it was lol

21. TimG

TimG Active Member

Get some pics taken as you go dude. Can you dye everthing? Im thinking of things like sunvisors? I assume you gotta source the OEM black bits for anything thats plastic, or paint it?

22. Ian_tdi

Ian_tdi Member

Maybe dye is the way forward then? As fran says can just go over it if not quite right.

Yes indeed there are some lovely cars up there, is that where you got the fat fives from? Darren had a set on his mk4 last time I was there.

23. TimG

TimG Active Member

Nah, sourced them from Ebay actually. Dont like buying wheels without seeing them in the flesh, but had no issues with these.

24. warrenlord

warrenlord Member

yeah it smells bad for abit but if you leave it all for afew days it will air off. while doing it the smell disappears but then find yourself high 10mins later.

its going ok upto now takes afew coats to make it 'black' rather than the grey, if you want the full works you need the black interior parts to match as well, ive know of loads of people spraying there visors and all the rest of there plastics but for me ive got all the parts black.

25. FranA3

prob the best way is too drive with the window down as much as poss and whenever poss leave it open just a touch to air it better will go quicker then

26. TimG

TimG Active Member

Havent done a great deal over the summer, but thought I'd get a few new photos up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It sits slightly better at the rear now, with a 215/40 and a 8mm spacer giving ET37. Think I'll go 215/40 on the front too maybe? Might make the front look slightly lower with the profile of the tyre, as the coils are right down already.

De-wipered, and had debadged, but I prefered it with the rings on so they're back.

If anyones got any ideas for cheap mods (saving for a house!) I'm open to suggestions :)

27. Ash B

Ash B Well-Known Member

Looks good fella. Defo checking my bump stops your sits alot lower at the front than mine :( lol

28. Jord

Jord Member

Looks mint Tim, sits nice, what's the joms like for comfort?

29. N8

Looking nice Tim, 5s look lovely on 3 drs!

30. TimG

TimG Active Member

Cheers for the comments people.

Considering they're wound right down up front, I think they're fine. GF thinks its harsh, but compared to her standard Polo thats fair!

31. GNJ_Motorsport

GNJ_Motorsport Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

Love this. Simple mods yet so affective. Earlier in the thread you mentioned you wanted a facelift front end but I'd save the money and leave it like that. Everyone updates to the newer front end and its good to see the split grill A3 modded nicely and not made to look newer. Don't get me wrong I like the facelift front but the split grill model is hardly horrible! Wheels and drop suit it perfectly.

What size grommet did you use for the rear wiper? I have de-wipered every car I have had and I want to do my S3 soon. Look so much cleaner and I hardly ever use the rear wiper anyway.

32. TimG

TimG Active Member

Its a 25mm one from Halfords of all places! The hole is actually 28mm, but its close enough. You can get a proper glass one from Venom for £15 if you fancy it.

33. GNJ_Motorsport

Ah cheers, I just used a plastic Halfords one on my other cars but might have a look at the glass one. Is it properly water tight being 3mm out?

34. TimG

TimG Active Member

I left the trim off for a few days and checked inside and it seemed fine. I actually reduced the hole size slightly by putting some electrical tape around the lip of the glass. I also taped the reverse side of the grommet to the glass to be double sure no moisture can get in.

35. Jord

Jord Member

Just silicone it in, will never leak,
    I really need to lower mine now, yours look sweet!

36. TimG

TimG Active Member

Or this is probably the more sensible option [​IMG]

If you have some silicone handy ... which I didnt.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  37. GNJ_Motorsport

:) I will give it a go next week sure I have some silicone in the garage.

38. Jord

Jord Member

Haha, I'm a plumber, so I've got a lifetime amount ha

39. N3DXT

N3DXT Member

I drive past your car most days, always looks spot on to me.

40. TimG

TimG Active Member

Cheers dude [​IMG]