1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 - Timing belt question

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Daniel Knight, May 3, 2013.

1. Daniel Knight

Daniel Knight New Member

[May 3, 2013]
    Hi All,

I have a 2008 1.9 TDi 105 A3 that has done 75,500 miles.

I am unsure whether or not the timing belt needs changing. The service history isn't very clear and I have contacted the Audi garage that last serviced it but they have no record of whether the timing belt was changed or not. A friend of mine is a mechanic and he has checked for tearing (there is none) and the belt still has V.A.G written on it quite clearly. It was a company car before I got it so a lot of the miles were motorway miles, would this make a difference?

Considering I am in doubt I should probably go ahead and change it but I don't really have the money right now and I need to drive from London to Cardiff (220 mile round trip) this weekend.

Any advice?

Thanks!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. J8TT X

J8TT X Member

[May 3, 2013]
    I would get it done.

I was in the same situation when i bought my A3, history was patchy and I decided to get the cambelt, water pump, DSG filter n oil changed along with a service.
    It cost a bit but the peace of mind was worth it.
  4. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member VCDS Map User

[May 3, 2013]
    The rule of thumb I use is 5years/60000miles. Whichever comes first.

If it were my car I would get it done. Having the belt changed is far cheaper than rebuilding the engine, should the worst happen.