A3 TDi's - opinions.

Drysdale

Reaction score
Been browsing Auto Trader for the last hour or so and have spotted a few of the A3 TDIs. No one seems to mention them on here. What do people in general think of these? Does it use the same PD engine as the Golfs/Skoda/SEATs?

I'm asking because I'm after a new A3 towards the end of the year (having bought a 1.6 A3 a few weeks ago) as my current car feels underpowered and basically I want something a bit newer and a bit quicker.

I'm 18 you see, will be 19 when the time comes for a new car (October-ish) and don't believe I'm a competent enough driver to handle the 1.8t just yet, so the TDI looks like a compromise.

Opinions on the TDI and TDI quattro....performance figures/comparison to 1.8t etc etc.

And finally, is something like the 1.9 TDI Quattro a suitable alternative to say the 1.8t petrol for a 19 year old who has been driving 2 years? Or should I be looking at say the 1.8 sport?

Mucho thankyou. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hay mate at 18-19 and your after a new A3 you must be loaded, ive got an 52plate A3 130bhp Tdi sport. The car is only as fast as your right foot if fuel consumption isnt a problem go for the 18T Q.

Not a brand new one, 2000-2003 8L. I'm not 'loaded'...just sensible saving and a small loan.

Looking at AT though, the TDI Quattro is out of the question. I'll have around £11,500 to spend.

Drysdale... save a bit more a get an S3 there not scary cars to drive!

Thats assuming fuel consumption / insurance isn't a problem.

which leads on to another question, does anyone have really expereince of mpg from the A3 TDi's??? as I think the technology is quite old? 45mpg???

19 year old with an S3 - that defies insurance and all sense of reason hehe.

Who wouldnt want one though. Can anyone else vouch for the S3 in the hands of a 19 year old? The most powerful car I have driven is my brother's Saxo VTS (!). Bit of a difference there. I'd really need to have a go in an S3 to gauge it up..210/225bhp, turbo + /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif of torque doesnt bode well for me though.

I believe the mpg is around 45mpg...I'll have a check on topgear.com later on.

Sorry but if your getting 45mpg out of a oil burnner i'd get it looked at, Ive got a 130bhp Tdi with a tunit box and i average on a full tank 50-54mpg. The tank holds about £35 and i get around 550miles thats m-way miles and i'm not a slow driver. Infact my car will pull away from my mates civic type R :yes!:but when is engine has warmed up and the v-tec comes in he pulls away from me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

I'm 20 and have a 1.8T it isnt scary at all really provided ur sensible in the wet weather.
Only problem is the £1400 to insure the ******.

Driving an S3 isn't scary at all, it's the insurance that's the scary bit!

I had one of the new A3 2.0Tdi's on loan from the dealers when the S3 was in for some work and was very impressed with it, much quicker than I expected and so economical! Don't know about the older models though, you'd have to drive one but there are plenty of tuning options available.

Mines quick enought for me until i get it remapped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif will keep up with a 1.8T no probs!

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like the TDIs arent too bad...shame they're so expensive though. Quick browse on the 'trader and I'm looking at circa £11k for an A3 TDI with 60k miles+ :/

I am intrigued about the S3 though. Insurance isnt a MAJOR factor...I'm used to high premiums. Aware its group 17 though...

The thing is...I'd be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif scared about driving one. The closest thing to a turbo I've experienced is my mum's 1.3 CDTI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'd like a few more opinions on the S3 and whether it'd be suitable for such a young driver like myself. Is an S3 for a 19 year something to even think about considering? Or should I go for the 1.8t?

I'm always pretty bad with cars...not with driving them but I'm constantly changing..can't ever seem to be happy so it has to be a car that I am going to be satisfied with. Surely the S3 encourages the boy racer hassle always rear-ending you and egging you on.

The 'boy racers' always come up to my rear end too, but hey, they dont know how to drive, lol.

I let them see the TDi badge for a couple of secs then, bye bye mr.slow (normally corsa or nova) lol, its great when u just pull away at a fast rate of knotts with all that tremendus torque, hehe!

my sister has a a3 tdi good car, i have a s3 you dont really get that much hassle from boy racers really (they dont know what it is), well i dont have problems. if you can afford one and insure it then why not get one. they are a very forgiving and easy to drive, i would have had one when i was 19 if i could have afforded one, just go for a test drive, see if you like it.

cheers tony

my only objection is this:
u get a new a3 weeks ago, and still you feel the car hasn't got power

then you get the TDI, after 3 months you sense the same after you get used to the torque etc...

this doesn't end. like modding