1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 Tdi TURBO Question

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Mackers, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Mackers

Mackers Member

hi all, i have a mate who's turbo has just gone on her 90BHP A3 TDi, it's a "X"Reg any ideas where she can get a cheap replacement ideally a STD one, as she's just had a kid and wants to keep the car on the road.
    Many thanks for your inputs in advance.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. BuckleyTDI

BuckleyTDI Member

could i just ask how you know the turbo has gone, has it been confirmed by a garage to be the turbo?

james

4. Mackers

Mackers Member

aye..... garage confirmed it, what price could she be looking at

5. ruffrida

ruffrida Well-Known Member

The problem you are going to have here is it is not a cheap fix, and not worth doing on the cheap.

These turbo's have a tendansey to seize/ get clogged. What you could try is breakeryard.com or carsparefinder.co.uk, you put in all your details of what you are looking for and breakers come back to you with parts & prices.

Just make sure you ask them if the wastegate arm moves freely (up & down about 20mm either way) as it easier to replace the whole wastgate & turbo in one go, as the wastegate maybe the reason the turbo has gone.

6. GISXER711

GISXER711 New Member

turbos only seize when starved of oil , this is why you should change oil reg and use good oil.
    or the bearing breaks so turbo dont spin .
    just find a good secound hand turbo , put your fingers on the blad and make sure it dont wobble just spins freely .
    the worst car i changed turbo on was pug 405 bought another car just for turbo then scraped car , cheep