1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 TDI temperature problem help needed

TurboDave Nov 14, 2009

1. TurboDave

TurboDave Member

I own a 1999 tdi and I am having some temperature problems with it.

It wont warm up no matter how far I drive or what strain I put the engine under the gauge still stays on 60 and doesnt move, the fan has also never come on.

I have replaced the thermostat with a proper Audi one and sealed it properly etc and it made no difference.

I dont think it is the temperature sender as the water temperature in the expansion bottle is below 60 degrees and you can wiggle your finger in there fine even after a long drive, it almost seems as if the engine is over cooling?

The heaters do warm up a bit and will warm the cab but they are nowhere near as warm as they were on the S3 I owned previously.

Pretty stuck with this and dont know where to go next it still delivers good economy at ~47mpg but I want it fixed!

Any help please?!

2. Imteyaz

Imteyaz 6th Gear

Maybe the thermostat is stuck open? I would take the thermostat out and test it to see if it opens to early or just replace it with another new one. Foth sake of a tenner, it's gotta be worth a try.

3. TurboDave

TurboDave Member

I dont see the point tbh in buying another £19 thermostat and new coolant when I have just put one in, I removed it just now and replaced it again to make sure it was sealing properly and it made no difference again.

It is the 2nd new thermostat aswell because I bought a non dealer one and tried that before I put the genuine one in and yet again no change!

I have inspected the old thermostat which I removed and that seems to be in good working order aswell.

Another spanner in the mix is I know the temperature gauge does work because I got an airlock while bleeding so it moved up to 80degrees ish on the gauge and then went back down when i gave the pipes a squeeze.