1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 TDI Quattro?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by emmap, May 3, 2004.

1. emmap

emmap New Member

[May 3, 2004]
    Hi All (my first post),
    I am considering buying a new A3 2.0 TDi but am wondering whether it is worth waiting for the quattro version. Does anybody know any more information about the TDi Quattro, or when it is due to be released?
    Thanks in advance!
    Em
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 22, 2014]

3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[May 3, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Emma P said:
    Hi All (my first post),
    I am considering buying a new A3 2.0 TDi but am wondering whether it is worth waiting for the quattro version. Does anybody know any more information about the TDi Quattro, or when it is due to be released?
    Thanks in advance!
    Em

[/ QUOTE ]

NOt sure when .etc, but at a guess it will be a high powered diesel.. probably 170-180bhp

Rich
  4. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[May 3, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Emma P said:
    Hi All (my first post),
    Thanks in advance!
    Em

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Emma, don't know when the quattro will be out...

But to me, all the torque that the diesel kicks out combined with quattro would make the ideal low-key hooligans tool!
    A combination worth waiting for I'd say...

Performance diesels already struggle to put the power down without electronic intervention, the use of quattero would make everything available, all the time. Great! And you'll still get nearly 50 MPG bering a menace on roundabouts / back roads.

If it were me, and the wait wasn't too long...I'd be waiting.

Oh, and welcome to a-s.net!
  5. emmap

emmap New Member

[May 3, 2004]
    Thankyou Rich!

Are the Quattro versions typically more powerful then? (I thought it was mainly just four wheel drive and a cute little badge!) [Sorry if this is a dim question!!]

Also, the A4 isn't much more expensive in Quattro form (diesel range anyway), any ideas what the price difference might be?

Em
  6. cybrey

cybrey Member

[May 3, 2004]
    Taking the A3 TS as an example. The A3 T-Sport is 150bhp. The quattro is 180bhp.

So yes they're a little more powerful. But the 2WD is still the quicker car in the dry ( marginally). In the wet there's no contest.
  7. garethj

garethj Member

[May 3, 2004]
    Probably looking at a £1500-£2000 premium for the Quattro TDI, rumoured to develop 160-165BHP, possibly available Q4 2004.
  8. Alonzo

Alonzo Member

[May 4, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    cybrey said:
    Taking the A3 TS as an example. The A3 T-Sport is 150bhp. The quattro is 180bhp.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the diesel versions which Emma is on about previously were 2wd=130bhp Quattro=130...It was only the 1.8t's that had the different bhp.
    If the new diesel quattro's do have 170/180bhp then put my name down as your lookin at 200 after a remap!!!
  9. Alonzo

Alonzo Member

[May 4, 2004]
  10. Irish

Irish Member

[May 5, 2004]
    In the brochure for the new A3 the TDI Quattro is the same 140 BHP unit as the FWD one.