A3 TDI Quattro or S3

JP77

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

Just thinking about whether I should go for S3 or 184TDIQ. I travel daily 100 miles so 50 miles each way and 500 miles a week, but at the moment I'm car sharing so that's a bonus in saving fuel costs about a half of costs saving in fuel.

My heart is set on S3 but my head is set on 184TDIQ. Always wanted S3 but I'm having a real dilemma here as MPG is a sticking point.

Most of my miles will be on motorway miles, circa 85% of the time on motorway yearly. I guess S3 will still achieve 40mpg if on motorway if I put it on Efficiency Mode, and driving sensibly I could. On weekends I can always have fun with S3.

Thoughts??

Well I’m going to sell my s3 if you’re interested!

What S3 are you thinking at; is it the 8P or the newer 8V? I only ask as you reference Economy Mode which the 8P doesn't have unless it's a euphemism for driving like a nana. Even then you'll struggle for 40mpg - budget for 32mpg.

Reactions: S.
you will not see 40mpg, even with custom software with fuel trim it will be a stretch.
and if your basing your decision on fuel usage then i would rather look at a tdi. doesn't have to be a3 (330d) and still have a cool car

my tax free cent

What S3 are you thinking at; is it the 8P or the newer 8V? I only ask as you reference Economy Mode which the 8P doesn't have unless it's a euphemism for driving like a nana. Even then you'll struggle for 40mpg - budget for 32mpg.

Not sure what is 8P or 8V.

But I'm going for the facelift, ordering a vehicle for March delivery hopefully.

Sounds like you mean a facelift 8V. 40 MPG is easily possible on the 8V S3's as they are more efficient and are lighter. I've managed 40 MPG in my S3 8P quite a few times, so it is possible. Yes, the diesels will offer better economy, but without any smile factor. It seems to me that the latest petrol engines are getter better on fuel whilst the opposite seems the norm with modern diesels?

Sounds like you mean a facelift 8V. 40 MPG is easily possible on the 8V S3's as they are more efficient and are lighter. I've managed 40 MPG in my S3 8P quite a few times, so it is possible. Yes, the diesels will offer better economy, but without any smile factor. It seems to me that the latest petrol engines are getter better on fuel whilst the opposite seems the norm with modern diesels?

Thanks it is the facelift the new one updated model, would it be possible I could get 400 miles a tank weekly?

20 miles on A/B Road and 90 miles on motorway every day.. S3 or TDIQ??

What do you say??

400 miles on a tank is very achievable on the 8v S3 - I average this on my modifed 8p S3. You need to drive both to decide if you want petrol or diesel as thery are both very different cars with very different price tags too.