A3 Standard tyre size?

copywrite33

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Not sure if anyone has had this problem before but my A3 speedo is playing up a bit.

Basically when im doing 30 mph by my sat nav my speedo is saying 40 mph (50 is 65, 60 is 78ish and 70 is 90). I have tried other sat navs to check it isn't that but they all say the same thing!

What im wondering is if the car had its alloys upped to 16 or 17 and the speedo reconfigured and then changed back to the 15s that are on it atm with out re configuring the speedo. I am assuming you can reconfigure the speedo, i am not well versed in cars. Obviously i would like to get this sorted as i want to keep a clean license and can have to slow right down when going through cameras.

Any help greatful!

E2A: Its an A3 1.6 Sport 97 plate if this helps!

Last edited:
lolMy satnav reads 67mph while my speedo reads 70! i have 16" wheels with 205-55-16 most satnavs under read by about 3-4 mph! or most speedos over read?

lolMy satnav reads 67mph while my speedo reads 70! i have 16" wheels with 205-55-16 most satnavs under read by about 3-4 mph! or most speedos over read?
Speedos over read, usually by about 10%. Plus you can have 10% tolerance before you can get a ticket. So you can do 77mph on the motorway, which would be about 85 on my speedo cos the 10% over read.

speedos over read UP-TO 10%. dont be so sure that if your doing 85, your doing 77!! sat nav speeds are the most accurate. and it all depends on the coppa that pulls you as well. assumptions like that are what kill people.