A3 Sportsback 2.0Tdi S Line Quattro S Tronic

I was more curious if when using the hill hold (which I don't have) you still have to keep your foot on the brake so the engine stays off or put it in park like on my car before you can take your foot off the brake and keep the engine off? If that's the case and you're either holding the brake on yourself or have it in park then what's the point of having the hill hold at all since hold assist is more than enough in those situations?

Hill hold is standard. Hold Assist is the optional extra.

For Hold Assist - no need to keep your foot on the brake pedal: car remains still and stop-start still works.

If you have the Hold Assist optional extra already, then just flick the switch to turn it off and try it out to see how it behaves? This should revert you to the standard type functionality akin to Hill Hold.

John.

...and Hill hold (standard) will only hold the car for ?seconds, whilst Hold assist (optional) holds the car indefinitely until you want to move off. The terminology is confusing...

Sorry, had the terms back to front, my fault. If you read that last one with the two technologies swapped round you'll get what I was trying to ask. Haha.

Johnny, so if you stop with Hold Assist in an s-tronic and the car turns off with stop start and Hold Assist activates you can take your foot off the brake and it's held on the handbrake with the engine still off? And the engine just restarts when you put your foot on the throttle I presume? If so then that's better than what I was thinking where you'd still have to keep your foot on the brake or shift to park to keep the engine off until you want to pull away.

Thanks for bearing with me guys, just curious about how the system works now. :)

Am testing a multi-quote feature here so hope it works!

Sorry, had the terms back to front, my fault. If you read that last one with the two technologies swapped round you'll get what I was trying to ask. Haha.
No probs. lots of people mix them up as the names are so similar and make it very confusing.

Johnny, so if you stop with Hold Assist in an s-tronic and the car turns off with stop start and Hold Assist activates you can take your foot off the brake and it's held on the handbrake with the engine still off?
Correct; held on a virtual footbrake indefinitely and your brake lights remain on. Just leave in D or M and no need to have feet on any pedals. Also no need to move to P.

And the engine just restarts when you put your foot on the throttle I presume?
Correct.

If so then that's better than what I was thinking where you'd still have to keep your foot on the brake or shift to park to keep the engine off until you want to pull away.
No need to keep foot on brake or move gear lever to Park. Just leave in D or M

With practice you can even learn to apply just enough pressure on the brake pedal to activate Hold Assist but to prevent Stop-Start turning off the engine (eg you have to stop at a junction but lights are changing so you'll only be stationary for a second or two). Then, if you need to activate start-stop, just put your foot back on the brake but with a little more pressure, then release, and engine will cut out via Start-Stop as normal and Hold Assist still keeps the car stationary.

John.

Reactions: Daggerit
Awesome, thanks for clarifying. :)

I've gotten to the stage I can basically choose to activate the stop start or not with brake pedal pressure so I know what you mean in those regards. Sounds like its a more helpful system than I first believed, cheers for the answers!