a3 SPortbakc (59 plate) rear speaker cover replacement

ziderman

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if it is easy to remove and replace the rear speaker cover in the door. The part costs £8.24 and Audi want £160 rto fit it. There must be a better way!

Thanks in advance

You have to remove the rear door card which sounds easy, but it's knowing where all the fixings are and doing it without marking the interior. If Audi want £160 to fit it then it must be estimated to take somewhere around two hours to complete so that shows you how much is involved....

For a newbie on the A3 then it will take few hours, but simple really, remove few bolts that are torx headed, pull of gently from bottom corners 1st which have compression clips that can break, but wont if careful, only pennies at audi anyway & work round the door card, lift card of a little, then detach the lock lever cable & the door module loom then of she comes, always use a blanket under door card so as not to scratch on the ground & then when changing speaker grill stick cardboard under a blanket & rest on the ground making sure there are no stones or debri that can press markings into the card as such whilst you work on it.

I don't know about the 59-plate, but on the 05-08 model I'm sure ELSAWIN says you can just pop off the speaker grille on the rear doors without having to remove the door card.

I'm sure NHN or someone with more knowledge than me will be along to correct me if I'm wrong :icon_thumright:

TBH the fronts are only a pressure plastic clips that needs dislodging to remove, so wouldnt be beyond for the rears to have a similar way & possibly as described.

I suppose the way to do it is get the part and that would tell me what's involved, if it has holes for mounting on melted plastic then it's door card oof but if it comes with the pressure clips that look like they will clip in from the front then I can prise the old one off and pop the new one on.

I have the 58 plate Sportback and the grills on the rear doors just pop off, no need to remove the entire door card at all.

Fantastic news. Thanks very much and to everyone that responded. I am very concerned that Audi wanted £160 to do the work, if it really does turn out to be that simple I feel a stern letter coming on!!!!

I suppose the way to do it is get the part and that would tell me what's involved, if it has holes for mounting on melted plastic then it's door card oof but if it comes with the pressure clips that look like they will clip in from the front then I can prise the old one off and pop the new one on.

Spot on chap, older ones used to be melted flat, newer are pressure clips

It's a disgrace that Audi should want charge so much for such a simple job. Fantastic cars, fine looking & great build quality (I'm the previous owner to 2 top of the range Mondeos and 2 sporty Lagunas), but it doesn't do much for the run of the mill car owner when faced with such a huge rip off by the manufacturer.

I really appreciate sites like these, great value and ironically it was a fella at Halfords put me onto it when I tried to buy a Haynes manual for the 2009 A3.

I'l report back when Audi have an answer for me!

Thanks again to everyone who has responded, hope I can help others in the future.

Although I agree its a simple job, its still time they have to spend on a car, they cant do it for free & if audi says do it this way & that is slated for 2 hours then thats how they have to do for warranty purposes or they wont get paid, dont get me wrong the charges for somethings are rich, but I sympathise with SOME dealers having known what they go through with audi to stay as a dealer as such, they really do have to deal with some ***** you know & thats with 1st hand knowledge.

eg. If they are required to take door card of say, they have to disconnect the door electrics, then change grill, reassemble & most think job done, wronggg, they have to logon to the car, clear faults on said modules & others as they log on other modules aswell, then test each & every component on the doors individually before saying job finished, then lastly check all modules again for errors & rectify if still a problem, this alone would take 2 hours, dealers have to follow the TU for jobs anyway, if its an unknown actual fault its by the hour, but this type of job is definitely on a TU rating & they shouldnt charge you anymore for it than what audi state.

Like changing a cluster isnt a £200 job 2-3 hour job, no way, 30 minutes tops & I know this from several done in front of me, but some bar steward dealers really do try there luck & try the £200, so with invoice copies in hand, some on here have shown them the job done at other dealers for £48 iirc, point is if you dont check then they will bumshag you everytime at some unscrupulous dealers who dont follow the code as such.