A3 Sportback in Misano Red

BrianM

BrianM
Reaction score
Love the Misano Red colour of my 06 Sportback, but unfortunately the lacquer on the front "bumper" has started to peel off and also the colour is different on both front and rear bumpers to the surrounding paintwork. Huntingdon Audi have been excellent and agreed to repaint the front under warranty and we are waiting on response on the differing colours fo rth erear bumper. Anyone else had problems like mine? I know red is a difficult colour on matches and fading but my car is only 10 months old.

Hmm, I'm getting a new Sline 3 Door, not sure which red to go for, Misano or Brilliant. But now i'm thinking perhaps neither! Is this just a problem that affects red paint on the A3? Anyone else else experienced this on other colours?

I had the brillaint red and it was superb. No Problems with it at all in the 18 months I had it.

Granny said:
Hmm, I'm getting a new Sline 3 Door, not sure which red to go for, Misano or Brilliant. But now i'm thinking perhaps neither! Is this just a problem that affects red paint on the A3? Anyone else else experienced this on other colours?

Its not so bad that it would put me off the colour. Mine is only a small patch - a few cm and it seems localised to this area only, and it will be resprayed under warranty.

I'm gonna hold off until after winter before I get it sprayed - so all the new winter stone chips get repaired for free too :)

Brillant red is a great colour IMO. Of the examples I've read on the forum it seems to affect cars that are around 10 - 18 months old. So if you are buying new I'd hope this issue has been cured by now.

Thanks guys, so not just me, that explains the lack of an argument then, just waiting on the colour difference between bumpers and body panels now! Anyone with Misano red notice this yet?

I have a Brilliant Red Sportback. 13 months old, no problems and both bumpers match perfectly. The base colour will be different but I assume that the clear coat lacquer will be the same on any car? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong here though.

C_Audiboy said:
I'm gonna hold off until after winter before I get it sprayed - so all the new winter stone chips get repaired for free too :)

Check with Audi before doing this. They may just repair the area effected and not the whole panel! Or they might say it is wear and tear...

My bumpers (Akoya silver) are quite markedly 'different' from the bodywork.
All akoya cars I've seen are the same.
An ex paint-sprayer colleague assures me that matching colours between plastic and metal is a nightmare,so that explains that then.

Edit,although my wife's Clio has plastic wings and there's no difference between the black on it's wings and it's doors.

To sum up,god knows.

Audi Boy, I love you avitar. It's possibly the most hypnotic and relaxing thing i've seen. Perfect tonic on a Monday morning!

marriedblonde said:
Check with Audi before doing this. They may just repair the area effected and not the whole panel! Or they might say it is wear and tear...

I've already had the car inspected by Audi (see link to other thread above) - they are going to spray the whole bumper FOC under warranty ;)