1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 Sportback Brake/Clutch Problem Help

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Kev12344, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Kev12344

Kev12344 New Member

Hi,

Last week I got my 2006 A3 Sportback 2.0T serviced. During this I also got the brake fluid changed.

Car felt fine until yesterday. Went to slow down for some traffic lights and it felt like it had no brakes. Had to press pedal twice for the car to stop. Afterwards car felt fine.

Today I checked the brake pedal before turning on the engine. It takes about 3 presses for the brake pedal to firm up and during this time there is a sound which almost sounds like air coming from the pedal, like if your blowing up a balloon. Pedal feels soft/loose.

My clutch also feels like its biting a lot lower down (Not far off of the carpet). I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing? I don't think it used to bite this low down.

Anyone offer any help/advice as to what it could be please.

Cheers!
  2. Kev12344

Kev12344 New Member

Anyone any ideas about what this problem can be?
  3. FUNKYCLIFF

FUNKYCLIFF Member

Air in the brake system it sounds like if the drained the fluid they allowed air gaps to get in the system. I might be way off base but sounds a possible reason
  4. Kev12344

Kev12344 New Member

Cheers FUNKYCLIFF.

If it is what you think it might be, it shoudn't be too expensive for a small local garage to try bleeding the brake system on my car.

Thank you for the help/reply mate. Its much appreciated.
  5. VWAddict

VWAddict Member

this MIGHT be any one of a few things, including brake master cylinder... if it's that it will NEED to be rebuilt or replaced RIGHT AWAY. -You can end up being unable to stop and it happens intermittently, which gives you a sense of 'clearing up by itself' right up until it kills you...

That's normal for any car with vacuum servo brakes. It's the reserve vacuum being 'used up', after which you get a hard pedal. As soon as the engine starts the pedal should soften again.

This suggests the possibility of air in the hydraulic system. The clutch and brakes share the same fluid system, I think (not in mine, since I have a dsg/S-tronic).

Either way, you should have it looked at right away. Sounds like either there's a bubble in there which needs to be bled or 'burped' out, or you have a dodgy master cylinder seal. Neither should be left un-addressed. If it's a bubble, the peple who changed our brake fluid should fix it for free. If it's a master cylinder guess what... you're about to get most of the fluid renewed... -again!

Keith
  6. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Yeah sounds like they need bleeding tbh which you should go back to the garage who did originally & demand they resolve the issue.
  7. Kev12344

Kev12344 New Member

VWAddict - If it is the brake master cylinder that is at fault. How much would I be looking at for it to get fixed/replaced as my car is a couple of months out of warranty?

Don't know if its wise to take it back to the Audi dealer who did the brake fluid change as if you said this problem sort of clears up but then comes back with it being the brakes and if I am unable to stop like you said, it could be dangerous to drive it back to the dealer. My Audi dealer is about 35 miles away so probably better going to a local independant garage just to save driving the bigger distance.

I do hope they only need bleeding. New master cylinder will probably be expensive.

Cheers for the replies guys. Its much appreciated.
  8. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Dude ring the dealer & explain the issues & say its only after you messed with my brakes I now have these issues, they are repsonsible for it end of mate.

They will probably pick it up or come to you & do it.