A3 Sportback 2.0 170bhp DSG S-Line...

baldrick said:
I think that sums up why it appears to work so much better in the petrol. The DSG would appear to change up in the diesel even in manual mode at an optimum setting rather than a maximum. I.e. when the diesel is getting out of the torque/power band and it is pointless to rev harder even though it hasn't hit the limiter.

Even though it feels quicker in the manual as it is revving harder the DSG is actually more efficient and quicker. However, feeling is arguably more important than outright speed.

Firstly, DSG may change up at what Audi consider to be the optimum point, but I disagree with that on a pretty fundamental level, that being shouldn't it be up to the driver to decide?
I also disgree it's the optimum point, as my car is definitely willing to rev higher.
If it was wheezing by the time DSG changed up, there'd be no argument.
The point at which a driver changes gear can also be determined by the next gear.
I.e.,the driver might want to hold third a bit longer, knowing that he's changing into fourth at a better point.
Anyone who drives a diesel DSG will (or should..) notice that the change from 3rd to 4th absolutely kills acceleration, because it's quite a jump.
If we were able tol hold onto third a bit longer, we'd be changing into a meatier part of 4th, if you get my drift.
Bottom line is, no-one has been able to give me a satisfactory answer as to why Audi have decided DSG drivers aren't allowed to rev their cars, yet manual owners can run around on the red line all day, if they want.
It just doesn't make sense.
It's like they're saying DSG drivers are stupid, or DSG engines cannot take revs like a manual.
Either of which is plainly daft.

Well, as my car is back at the dealers for a mysterious and intermittent power loss (yep, EGR thingy replaced; yep, throttle body replaced, yep, thankfully it's a co. car!), i've got a sportback 1.8T DSG courtesy car - i'd never driven a petrol DSG `box A3 before, and I have to say, don't like it one bit!
It's very "shunty" & jerky - trying to make smooth progress through rush-hour stop/start traffic tonight was a real eye-opener - i think that's where the torque of my diesel 140bhp DSG A3 smooths things out a bit.
Once on a clear dual carriageway with minimal traffic, it did go pretty well, but i think if I was considering a petrol-only A3 I'd not be too keen on the DSG box.
Having said that, I'm sure it's quite different in the 3.2, and the 2.0T.
And having gotten used to the low-down torque of a turbo-diesel over the last 3 cars and 9 years, this petrol engine seems gutless low-down.

Still haven't been able to get test drives sorted though for a 170bhp quattro vs 170bhp DSG......

Hi, first time poster here!

I thought I would give my opinion. I have just had a Golf 2.0 tdi 140 Sport (Manual) for the last year and have sold it on Monday while waiting for the delivery of my new A3 Sportback S-line 170 tdi S-tronic. Some of what I read here got me worried as I test drove the manual and have only driven the DSG in a Golf Plus.

So this week I rented a Passat 2.0 tdi 140 Estate with the DSG gear box and I've got to say I'm really impressed with the soothness and performance. It feels faster and smoother than the golf and if it's indicative of the Audi S-tronic I'm glad I've ordered it.

I suppose ultimatly it depends on your driving style, if you want to throw the car around country lanes all the time then the manual must be better, but for a smooth relaxing drive mostly on a-roads and motorways I think the S-tronic is a good choice. I also found that at speed when you put your foot down the DSG finds the power better than I could manually.

I do agree that it is pretty bad at nipping into gaps at roundabouts as it does not pick up as fast as you would expect.

rob1210 said:
I do agree that it is pretty bad at nipping into gaps at roundabouts as it does not pick up as fast as you would expect.

I think this is the main gripe we have withe the DSG box, I would agree that motorway/A road driving, (especially if you have cruise fitted) is a joy & very relaxing.

At the end of the day neither is perfect & neither is so badly flawed as to cause concern, it all comes down to personal preferences, at least these days we have access to good information via forums, and can make an educated choice on what we would prefer.

This brings me onto another subject although still connected, I was trolling the 'other forums' to see what was said elsewhere, mostly they were full of 'yes people' whereas on this forum we have a few with large enough gahonahs to say something negative

bowfer said:
Firstly, DSG may change up at what Audi consider to be the optimum point, but I disagree with that on a pretty fundamental level, that being shouldn't it be up to the driver to decide?
Hence I said the DSG seems to work so much better in manual mode in the petrol where the full rev range is available.

I do agree a manual mode should be exactly that. I was trying to understand why the diesel DSG seems to restrict the rev range and it was the only possible reason I could see.

Cheers
baldrick