A3 Sport Suspension

nicholld

Reaction score
Maybe a newbie question but something just doesn't feel right with my new A3... I have a 2010 A3 2.0 TDI Sport and have previously had a series of VW Golfs usually GT TDI spec. The last GT I had handled really well round twisties, etc however the A3 just doesn't feel quite as stable. The steering is certainly more active that the golf was and at speeds around 40-50 the car still feels solid but once you start to push that little bit more especially on long or tight bends the car just seems to want to understeer... My understanding was that the GT suspension was the same as on the sport or should I be comparing against the S-Line suspension? Have other people experienced this?? Is there an easy solution???

Could be just down to the make of tyres between the two cars - what tyres are on the A3 and what was on the Golf ?

Could be just down to the make of tyres between the two cars - what tyres are on the A3 and what was on the Golf ?

Both cars came with Pirelli P-Zero Rosso Tyres, never been a great fan compared to Michelin Pilots...

The Sport model A3 isn't as "high" in the range as the GT model Golf I would say, so the equivalemt may well be as said the S-Line.

Set of Eibach springs? Should be able to buy a set, have them fitted and all wheels aligned for under 400 squid

have you done the obvious things first?
i.e. check tyre pressures
Are the tyres new? If so they might need time to bed in.

have you done the obvious things first?
i.e. check tyre pressures
Are the tyres new? If so they might need time to bed in.

Tyre pressures have been checked and the tyres now have approx 2000 miles on...

We have just changed from standard sport to Eibach Sportline springs and all the spongyness has gone.
The ride and handling is much improved but no more harsh that the originals.

The boss :whip: says that she finds it better because the boingyness has gone and the car feels much more solid on the road like the BMW 3 series that the A3 has just replaced.

I was 100% set on H&R springs due to the advice on here and the fact that one of the Eibach's I recently took off a Vectra had cracked and snapped! Ended up with Eibach tho because I wanted 50mm front and 40mm rear.

Was plesantly surprised when I found they came with a 5yr warranty as well.
£150 well spent with Damian @ DPM Performance.

(I'm not sure if spongyness or boingyness are the correct technical terms but you get what I mean)

It seems that by just replacing the springs may be the answer but I've heard stories of people doing this, etc and then warranty's being void ,etc... As this is an '10 car and I believe Audi do a kit to change the springs would I be best to look at this or am I being too cautious?