A3 Sounds

AndrewUkR6

Reaction score
Hi i know this should maybe go in the ICE forum but as its A3 specific...

Im keen to start swapping my stereo over but the damn audi build quality is a pain! Can anyone briefly tell me how to take the door cards out, speaker size?

Also I dont know if i have the bose sound system, id guess not (how do i check). I do have an extra power source running from the existing head unit i presume into the box behind the left hand panel in the boot - sub, amp, bose system? im confused!

anyway thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
AndrewUkR6 said:
Hi i know this should maybe go in the ICE forum but as its A3 specific...

Im keen to start swapping my stereo over but the damn audi build quality is a pain! Can anyone briefly tell me how to take the door cards out, speaker size?

Also I dont know if i have the bose sound system, id guess not (how do i check). I do have an extra power source running from the existing head unit i presume into the box behind the left hand panel in the boot - sub, amp, bose system? im confused!

anyway thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Andrew,

For info on the door cards I've just copied and pasted from a post I made on another thread (about locks) recently...
[ QUOTE ]
As far as stripping the door goes, you'll find a very helpful interior manual HERE - a page operated by another AS.N user.

The long and short of it though goes something like this...

1) Remove the screw at the top of either end of the door (ie - look above the lock mechanism, all the way to the level where the window meets the door panel - there's a small screw here, and another in a similar position at the hinge-end).

2) Remove 1x screw from the inside door-grip, then pop-off the plastic cover (for lower half of the grip) which you have just freed.

3) Remove the two screws this cover hides.

4) Lift the door an inch or so, enough so you can lean the panel toward you, giving access to the connectors for Electric Windows/Mirrors and of course the cable for the door-handle.

5) Disconnect all these connectors, then lift the panel further (now approximately 4 inches/20cm) - it will now be free of the door so you can put it somewhere safe while you have a go at the lock

Regards,

Rob.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OEM speaker in the door is apparently 10cm (4") woofer (mounted on three holes) with a 2.5cm (1") tweeter - if you're replacing with aftermarket stuff, you'll most likely want to be looking for 13cm (~5") component sets, as adapteres to turn the three audi-holes into standard-four are readily available for this size (for around £10-15 per pair) - although you could make your own to suit any special plans you might have.
It's a similar story in the back, with 165mm (/~17cm) co-axial being the most common aftermarket replacement for the OEM rear-panel speakers.

I'm not 100% on this one, but I think the easiest way to check if you have the Bose system is to have a look at the grilles on the speakers, as the Bose ones should be branded so (IIRC) - someone on here _with_ the Bose system will no doubt confirm or deny this for us though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...

As far as the extra power etc. goes - the story is similar regardless of whether you have bose or not because even on the basic setup the head unit runs the front (door) speakers, and the rear-panel and factory-fitted sub run over RCA from the HU, powered by their own little amp. The system does take quite a bit of stick from people for various reasons, but I still think that though it has its failings, it's quite generous for a basic package from the factory. ...It does make things a little more complicated on the upgrade front though, because obviously you have an amp in the circuit to consider. My factory amp and sub just lie dormant now, as I replaced all the speakers and run them all from the HU over new speaker cable I laid all-round, and I run two 6x9"s under a stealth-shelf and a sub in the boot from an amp.

Anyway, I hope I haven't waffled on too much, and I hope you have the information you need.

Regards,

Rob.

thanks rob that was really helpful, for the moment i will just change the speakers over but at some stage i will have the task of putting my amps in... this will make it a heck of alot easier so cheers!

regards, Andrew