1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 - Scirocco - A3

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by stubrown, Jan 31, 2013.

1. stubrown

stubrown New Member

[Jan 31, 2013]
    Right then

Had an A3 2.0t Quattro S-line then switched to a Scirocco for a laugh, was always the plan to go back to an A3 as just loved the build quality and to be fair I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for a white coupe. Finally just got round to test driving the new A3 and now the quandary begins. I never questioned another A3, a no brainer, loved my old one. Just now a bit concerned (albeit the demo A3 was a 2.0TDi Sport and not the 1.8TSi S-line I had in mind) that I'm going to be bored to tears for the next 3 years if the test drive was anything to go by. Don't get me wrong its a lovely car, but so dull. Please someone convince me the 1.8 S-line will make me smile like my dear old Rocco.

Woe is me [​IMG]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 22, 2014]

3. viperfire

viperfire Member

[Feb 1, 2013]
    get the s line lowered suspension. The scrirocco is a sports coupe the a3 isn't.
  4. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Member

[Feb 1, 2013]
    I'm in exactly the same position as you. Approaching...ahem...cough... 50 this year and drive a Scirocco (which I do love), but like you am starting to feel a little concious about driving a sports coupé at my age :laugh:

I've looked at a number of alternatives including the MK7 Golf and have concluded an A3 sportback is the way to go for me. Have the spec pretty much dialled in and the transmission (S-Tronic) just need to sort out the engine.

To be honest, I/m actually looking forward to it, as I'm a bit of a tech and toys freak, so just love what the A3 brings to the party that the Rocco just doesn't have. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret getting the Rocco one little bit. It's quiet, comfortable and highly chuckable and entertaining when it needs to be. Yes the A3 may not be a sports coupé, but I think it's a very nice place to sit, and looks really good in S-Line trim.

Don't think you'll regret it one bit. Go on, you only live once !
  5. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Feb 1, 2013]
    If your going for an s-tronic make sure you try out the 7-speed dry clutch version used on the petrol engines before making any decision. By all accounts it's no where near as good as the 6-speed wet clutch version fitted to the 2.0 TDI engines. Personally I've had four A3s with 2.0 TDI diesel engines and the 6-speed s-tronic and been very happy with each of them.

My wife sometimes drives my A3 and a while ago she had a test drive in a 1.4 Polo with a 7-speed DSG and thought the gearbox was 'horrible' when compared to the 6-speed. Far too much hesitation when pulling away at junctions and roundabouts. I could even tell that from the passenger seat.
  6. Nardies

Nardies Member

[Feb 2, 2013]
    I've just got another an A3 (8V) after coming from a Scirocco GT, and prior to that, an A3 (8P).

The interior quality of the 8V is simply in a different league to the Scirocco, which felt like it was style by bean counters, rather than a designer, hence the EOS dash, and old golf parts strewn about the cabin, the seats were good though.

Driving wise, the Scirocco was MUCH better for me and I find myself missing it. The Audi feels heavy and the steering doesn't give as much feel. I knew these things when buying the A3, as though the Scirocco was more fun, and in my view, better to look at, it was less comfortable, but then I did have 19s....