A3 S tronic major rollback issues?

pj1991

Reaction score
I'm writing this on behalf of my mum who has just brought an Audi A3 58 reg 1.4tfsi sportsback S tronic.

For the purpose of this question I will admit I have no idea whether it has hill park assist so for now I will assume it won't but in the handbook it says it does.

The thing is when shes at a stop on a hill the car IMMEDIATELY rolls back when her foot comes off the brake to swap to the accelorator, and she isn't slow about it either. Now if it has hill assist it shouldnt but as many people have told me it should be able to hold the car for at least a second or two to allow for the driver to change pedals?

Even if shes parked on the street facing downwards as its on a hill, if she puts the car in reverse and takes her foot off the brake the car rolls back UP the street/hill. Which is on a hill???!!!?!?!?

Also it might be worth noting that when she puts her foot down to get out at islands in the town where you need to be quick, the car does nothing but wheel spin.

I have heard some people say, more-so about the DSG gearboxes that they are a clutchless manual but still they shouldn't roll back! An automatic takes away the needs for a biting point.. So what about those people, like my mum who have an automatic only license.. because the reason she had to take automatic only lesson was due to trouble operating a manual transmission (i.e biting point)

Surely it should hold the car for at least a second or two?? Otherwise what if some idiot is right behind her.. she will roll back even the tinyest bit and hit them?

Anyone else has this issue?

Firstly, normal automatic boxes that have a torque converter take away the bite point. As soon as you move off the brake the car will move off

S-tronic isn't like that. Is your mum "engaging" the hill hold assist?

When you come to a stop, then push the brake pedal down further to "turn it on"

Then when you let go of the brake it won't roll back assuming the car has hill hold assist

The other problems you describe are DSG box issues common with the box your mum's car has. Search the forum there are lots of threads on that

If she just bought it then take it back to wherever she bought it from

Use the handbrake.....
But you shouldnt have to.. Had 3 automatics, 2 being audis for the past 16 years and never had this problem. And tbf considering to go onto our "drive" where it is parked you have to go up a slope then its pretty dangerous that it drives itself up it. And its a very steep slope at that.

The foot brake has a switch that dis-engages the clutch to prevent wear whilst stationary, so there's a short pause while the clutch re-engages; that's why you get a 'snatchy' flying start if you boot it. The clutch dumps as if you gave lots of revs and lifted your foot quickly off the clutch on a manual car.

If it hasn't got hill-hold.

We have two cars with s tronic boxes (S3 8p and mk2 TT) and this isnt normal, so dont accept it as such.

Not normal, my 58 TDI S tronic has hill assist that works. never rolls back after applying the foot brake for a couple of seconds. I never use the handbrake on hill starts.

Hi there i have audi a3 1.6 tdi s tronic my question is why my car roll back on hill ot does roll back quite a lot even after accelerat pick up speed very slow only happens at hill please help me thanks

One off the members above says push break pedal down once you stop and that should hold he says .

They should all have hill assist and you should leave the gear selector in D with foot on the brake when holding the car on a hill or from a parked position. Check your mum doesn’t move the gear selector into N or P when stationary on a hill.
As others say there is a slight delay when moving off from stationary as these dsg boxes do have clutches that take a moment to bite but of course no clutch pedal, they engage automatically when you press the accelerator pedal.
Another point to note, is the gearbox oil needs to be changed every 40k miles so maybe due for that. The wheel spin on take off might be mum panicking about rolling back and she boots the throttle pedal too much, so one wheel breaks traction due to too much power and no limited slip diff.
Hope this post helps you understand what should be happing.

Reactions: ch1z64