1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 S line Brakes

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by TFSI, Oct 17, 2013.

1. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

Well picked her up on Monday.....................What a stunning enjoyable car this new A3 is.

Missus having a bit of trouble with electric handbrake but a bit more practice and she will have it sussed.

One thing bothering me is to much shiny metal especially the front wheels so it's time to paint the calipers to dull them down a little.

Brilliant Red so i am thinking Gloss Black Calipers with S line decals in red and white, match in with the gloss black surrounds which the S line has.

What do you think ????
  2. Schizophonic

Schizophonic Active Member

I take it yours is not an s-line?
  3. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

Yeh mine is an S line, 4 days old. Too much silver with the std S line wheels and silver calipers and hubs.

They should come with painted calipers as std but thats reserved for S3's and above.

Did my last 2010 Ibis 8P A3 S line with black calipers and red/white S line decals and it just finished the car off so will be doing the same with this one soon.
  4. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

image.jpg Calipers all done now and the car looks better for the loss of silver calipers alongside silver hubs and wheels.
    97catalunya, Phil-1, McAudi and 2 others like this.
  5. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Nice, did you do it yourself?
  6. WingoWango

WingoWango Member

Nice job!
  7. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

Yes. Took the wheels off to paint the calipers hammerite smooth gloss black. Then put the decals on through the wheels. Then gave the decals a lick of lacquer through the wheels.
  8. paullowther

paullowther Member

Evening! How long did this take you & what materials etc... did you need? I was thinking of doing the same thing but in red! Looks like you've done a top job there!
  9. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Hi, I hope you don't mind asking more questions but where did you get the decals from and did you do anything to prepare the callipers first?
  10. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

2 hours to remove all four wheels and paint calipers with Hammerite smooth gloss black. dry overnight and then fit and lacquer decals without removing wheels.

F1 decals off eBay, used them before and they are the best, just be careful when removing backing film after sticking them to calipers, I brushed my lacquer on them with a kids paint brush but not the red square by the S as I found it discoloured it on my previous 8P.

Total time taken over two days was approx three hours helped by not having to remove the wheels again.
    Total cost was about £15.
  11. BGS

BGS Member

They look great. I might just have a go at that when mine arrives. Just need to see how the 19"s look with the silver calipers first. They are a bit darker so might be alright. Maybe red though . . maybe.
  12. snowfree52

snowfree52 Full LED baby !

could you post a picture of the whole car with your painted brakes ?

thanks
  13. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

Here you go.

Attached Files:

14. McAudi

McAudi Member

Great job! They really enhance the look of the wheels. I have a Glacier white S Line on order and this would look smart on mine too. I know what you mean about the amount of silver, which I believe is even more prominent against a white car.
  15. snowfree52

snowfree52 Full LED baby !

well it does look good, and you have a nice color I see :whistle2:
  16. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

Did my previous Ibis White S line the same and they looked fine. View attachment 22345 IMG_0003.jpg
    97catalunya likes this.
  17. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

Very happy with the new A3 8V apart from now I thought I would give my iPod a go, It won't load mine or the wife's, they both have the latest software and are set to windows. The MMI cables I have are one with a USB connector on and no coloured grommet and a iPod connector with a red grommet on one end ???? Is this the correct one or do I need another.
    PS What's the USB used for ? can I connect a flash drive to this and also can I use an SD card loaded with my iTunes song list ?
  18. McAudi

McAudi Member

Why mention this on a thread about S Line brakes?
  19. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

I have completed the brake jobby now so thought I would mention this little hiccup I have with the rest of the car. Sorry for breathing!!!
  20. McAudi

McAudi Member

Sorry mate. I was reading this on my mobile tiny screen. I didn't realise that it was you that posted the message. I thought it was just someone postinga random question on your thread. Keep breathing ;-)
  21. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

Cheers feller its OK i'm still breathing:yes:
  22. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

Gave up with the iPods and loaded it onto an SD card which works great.

As well as the brake calipers I thought the S line also deserves a little addition to its grill !

image.jpg
    Phil-1 likes this.
  23. McAudi

McAudi Member

Crikey, those SD cards are cheap! You could almost squeeze my entire music collection onto one of the high capacity cards. I'm assuming that a USB stick would do the same? Are there ports in the armrest for both formats?
  24. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

The SD card goes into Slot 2 located in the glove box where the CDs are loaded. The USB stick connects via a cable under the arm rest. Both play extremely well and load in seconds. The USB stick still remains illuminated with the ignition off though.
  25. 97catalunya

97catalunya Member

I think it turns off after a while, my iPhone will still charge for a while after turning the car off. I think the MMI stays awake for a while after turning the car off, it saves it having to reboot every time you park up (if you have just popped into the shops) not sure how long though?
  26. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

Cheers for that info, much appreciated. Didn't fancy disconnecting and connecting the USB stick every time.

Gave my car a good clean inside this morning and came across that Bl--dy air bag sticker on the sun visor !! Do they come off easily or does it leave a sticky mess ?
    97catalunya likes this.
  27. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

Sadly those airbag warning stickers are fused on to the visor, and they won't come off. There was a thread a few months ago that suggested ordering the left-hand drive version of the visor to replace it without the stickers on.
  28. McAudi

McAudi Member

I tried removing the sticker on my Honda a few years back and then gave up when I realised it was secured using Kryptonite! How about sticking a photo of Rachel Riley over it. Also, cheers for the info on the SD card/ USB - I think I will opt for the SD card.
  29. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

If it's taken you this long to notice them... I'd suggest that they probably aren't that much of an issue!
  30. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

Slot 2? Mine is in slot 1... didn't think it mattered!
  31. 97catalunya

97catalunya Member

Maybe TFSI has SD satnav in slot 1 ;)
  32. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

Cant afford Sat Nav, from the drivers side slot 2 was the easiest to reach :racer:
  33. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

Didnt know who Rachel Riley was so googled it and I now know what you mean:no: Don't think the Missus would like it to much on our long journeys :blahblah1: or even our short journeys.
    Belfin and McAudi like this.
  34. McAudi

McAudi Member

That made me laugh like f***. She is smoking hot and I'd walk through a room of up turned 3 pin plugs just to see her shadow
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  35. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

Finished of my new S line now, don't do too much as I like them to look how Audi build them (Sporty and Classy)

First the brake calipers, then the grill badge and finally a sticker in the back window. All done now.

Attached Files: