1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 - Replacing Stock Speakers?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by djglenn, Oct 25, 2013.

1. djglenn

djglenn New Member

Hi,

I recently bought an A3 Quattro (09) Sportback, and have noticed the front right speaker is not working (though the tweeter is), so need to replace it. I have found the guides on the logistics of replacing the bottom speaker, however have never replaced any car electrics before so a bit of a novice (though not a complete numpty as I am handy enough with diy / pc building, etc).

I have a few questions based on what I have read on various threads.

1. Most people recommend mdf brackets v plastic ones for holding the replacement speakers. Where can these be bought? I can only find plastic ones.....

2. Is it best to keep the component setup, i.e separate tweeter? Most A3 "kits" on the internet have the tweeter integral to the main speaker. Would these be ok?

3. What speakers would people recommend? Prefer to stay < £100 as I dont see the point in spending a fortune as am keeping the stock head unit.

4. Do need to replace the stock tweeter? Just found a guide, which seems a bit more complicated to replace this that the door one. Would it be of audio benefit?

Sorry for all the questions, however I want to get a full understanding before I take this project on.

Many thanks!

Dan

#1 djglenn, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. JJ.Foulds

JJ.Foulds Well-Known Member

Any sort of wood is better than plastic for speakers, it helps the sound :)
    and probably easier to fit as you can just screw thru it or whatever :p

And yes keep the separate tweeter, high frequencies are very directional. so having them at your feet is helping no one.

JJ.

4. djglenn

djglenn New Member

Thanks JJ, much appreciated mate. Will need to see if I can get something pre made, as I dont have the tools to shape wood to use a a speaker bracket.

5. deej

deej New Member

Hi Dan, Just came accross your post. I recently bought an 09 Sportback (1.9tdi Sport) and also have a problem with the front drivers side mid/bass speaker in that it sounds blown. Did you manage to start this replacement job? I'd be interested knowing how you got on.
    Thought this forum might have been a bit more forthcoming on replacement advice.
    Thanks, Dave

6. JJ.Foulds

JJ.Foulds Well-Known Member

Speaker knowledge is not normally something that comes along with car knowledge, especially with a forum full of 'ONLY FIT OEM'.
    I however like cars AND know alot about speakers and audio systems, however my knowledge is in PA systems for Bands and live sound mixing.

Your best off finding a car speaker comparison forum to find the best ones.

Long as you get the right fitting size, and your not underpowering the speaker with your amp (built in or external), it doesn't matter what you fit, they will all work.

7. deej

deej New Member

Thanks for that. I agree, this is not the best forum for advice on speaker comparisons. However, if there is anyone who has had a good result with a quality aftermarket upgrade. please share the knowledge! If I just wanted a speaker that worked I would fit OEM. Better quality per buck is often available on the aftermarket but the AM choice is staggering so why not ask on a Forum where someone might have had good results... My last custom install was a component Philips 8 inch mid/bass in the doors in my '86 GT Coupe. That was around 20 years ago so lost touch a bit!

8. chris.vincent3

chris.vincent3 Own a BMW now, HOWEVER I still own VCDS!
    VCDS Map User

If you wanted to fit OEM speakers, i've got a pair in the shed, free to a good home, I'm in Portsmouth if that's any good to you? Standard Audi ones, non Bose.

Removed them to fit some Vibe Blackair speakers I had in my old car, to get them to fit you need some adaptors, I got some hand made wooden ones off eBay as they're better at sealing the speaker to the door than plastic which doesn't flex like wood and leaves gaps. Very straight forward to fit OEM or after market speakers, might be worth purchasing some extra door card clips, couple of mine broke.

deej likes this.
  9. Sidhu88

Sidhu88 Active Member

deej likes this.
  10. deej

deej New Member

Thanks Chris and Sid for the pointers. I'll post some info when I get going with this.