A3 rear washer fix

A3Tom

Smell my finger.
Reaction score
Thought this might be of use to a few people.

My rear washer stopped working and all the fluid was pi$$ing out from within the engine bay so I had a look-see to try and sort it out....here's what it takes to fix it...

This is the trunking that the pipe is inside..

To get inside this trunking you have to remove the airbox, take out the screws that hold the top on the airbox, pull the wiring plugs, take off the jubilee clip thats on the MAF and then unbolt the airbox itself and lift it out..

Next up is opening up the trunking, easy done but you have to lift the seal from the top of the engine bay and prise the trunking open, it should pop off easy enough.

Once this is off you should be able to see the pipe, this is what mine looked like. As you can see the joint has come apart.

Had a quick check to make sure there was no crud in the joint and then pushed it back together to how it should be..

Checked it was working at this point and whacked some tape on the joint to hold it, all good as its back to normal now. Now its just put everything back as you take it off (excuse the state of the airfilter, its now had a service!!)

Check everythings done up/connected properly and job done!. Took 20 minutes I reckon.

This had been bugging me for ages, I thought the pipe would be buried somewhere really awkward

Fingers crossed this will be of use to someone that has the same problem.

T

Good stuff lads.

By the way Tom where id you get your battery cover from? My standard plastic one has been damaged and a big chunk of the plastic has been snapped off and I like the look of those fabric jobbies.

It was on the car when I got it, I know my mate 1.8T Golf has the same kind of cover. Might be worth a call to the dealers and asking for a battery cover for a 2000 1.8T A3 :)

Good thread mine has stopped working a couple of month ago will have to check this.

Mine also a couple of days ago.
The fluids are leaking in the boot lit itself.
When i open the boot it all leaks down :mad:

My rear wash also doesn't work however i dont think its the connection as i remember trying it months ago and not seeing any leaking from the bay.. Could it be the wiper housing on the rear perhaps?

1 word LEGEND!

mine hasnt worked since ive owned the car, went and checked this, 5mins later, i have a working washer jet!!!

cheers fella

Ross

might have to brave the weather and chekc this out as my rear washerjet has stopped working. nightmare on the motorways when you can tell whos behind you ( especially when its the filth! sorry tom)

I had this the other week on my S3, it was in the same place. The only "extra" task I had to do was remove the strut brace as it stops you removing the cover piece

oh ******** how muc extra work are we talking with the strut brace??

have a go mate, you may not need to remove the strut brace. I certainly didn;t when i did this repair. just strip out the airbox and unclip the trunk cover and wiggle it about til it comes out. IIRC it comes out up the way between the brace and the scuttle but definately came out.

The strut brace is easy to remove, I removed the 3 nuts on the passenger side completely and just loosened the drivers side enough to lift the strut brace out of the way. It only takes an extra minute.

About a month ago my rear washer stopped working and it was the hose coming adrift inside the tailgate, job done or so I thought as it stopped again a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't the tailgate this time and thanks to this thread I headed round to my mates garage to do this fix, except the water was appearing from under the bottle. Couldn't see how to easily remove the bottle so jacked up the car, front wheel and arch cover removed to reveal another separated connector behind the washer bottle, what a palaver, secured it all and - still no water.
Further investigation showed water appearing inside the nearside rear wheelarch, removed trim, subwoofer, lens, various other bits and pieces and another separated joint on the wheel arch, fixed that and all is now well.
It's a good idea to have joints which come apart with frost rather than have the hose split in some really inaccessible spot but ****** me they could have put the joints in better places. Will now be adding quality additive to bottle to try and prevent freezing in future.

sweet!! mine hasnt worked since i got the car

servicing the motor tomorrow so will check this out while im at it

well looked at it today and the reason why my rear wash wasnt working was a mixture of a blocked nozzle and the connectors in the engine bay had come apart, all fixed now and in full working order, loving it!!

Right, solve this one then!

Reconnected the hose in the trunking, no blockage in the nozzle, no visible leaks or water anywhere. I'm thinking blockage in the piping somewhere? Question is, short of ripping my interior to pieces and checking the whole length of pipe what's going to clear it?

have you checked the pump itself? can you hear it whirring when you press the wash/wipe?

or try taking the whole assembly off the rear and make sure it aint all clogged up there

have you checked the pump itself? can you hear it whirring when you press the wash/wipe?

or try taking the whole assembly off the rear and make sure it aint all clogged up there

Yeah, the pump runs which makes me think blockage. Haven't checked the internals at the back, so that'll be the next port of call methinks!

cheers.

if that doesnt give you any joy, i was thinking maybe you could put something like mr muscle diluted in the washer bottle and see if that would unblock the pipe, i would only use a very weak solution though because i dont know how harmful it might be to the pipes!

or even better yet if you had access to an airline, disconnect both ends of the tube and blast it through

anything so you dont have to rip half the car apart tracing the tube :)

if that doesnt give you any joy, i was thinking maybe you could put something like mr muscle diluted in the washer bottle and see if that would unblock the pipe, i would only use a very weak solution though because i dont know how harmful it might be to the pipes!

or even better yet if you had access to an airline, disconnect both ends of the tube and blast it through

anything so you dont have to rip half the car apart tracing the tube :)

Good plan Stan!
I'm feeling a trip to the farm to borrow the compressor...

Thanks Tom, fixed my washer by the airbox as i could see it leaking down the front. However tried it and it is now leaking from the rear wheel arch, anyone know how to fix that one??

I've got washer fluid pouring out from the bump on the sill beside the nearside jacking point. Is there a joint down at this part of the body as well as the one at the top of the C pillar? If so, how easy is it to get at? Cheers.

That airline idea is really stupid.

DO NOT use a compressed air line to unblock the washer lines, if there is a blockage the thin hoses will expand and split long before you push the dirt out. Then you're rogered...

I've seen it done so many times, and no matter how careful you are it's going to end in tears 90% of the time. Just blowing on the hose with your mouth will be more than enough pressure, or failing that use something to push down the pipe and clear a blockage like a thin piece of electrical cable or wire.

Last edited:
Just done my rear arch. Mine had the cd changer and sub box, so had to remove both to gain access, the joint was on the top of the arch. sort of 10 aclock if you can understand what i mean

ive just fixed mine using this guide,bit of a pain as one of the airbox bolts was rusty but managed to get it off in the end, handy guide thanks

where abouts does the line run in or out the car? re connected the pipe in the bay a tiney squirt came out the back then nothing, held it for about 10seconds and couldnt see or hear any water leaking this time but it wasnt coming out the back! any ideas?

also on another note, the wipe isnt steady its julky tried oiling it and hasnt worked!

ok answered my own question:)

blockage in the nosle and also juddering was loads of grit and stuff in the motor! gave it a clean and a grease now works fine:)