1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 Quattro Rear Diff/Haldex Coupling Oil Change

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by imported_rob911, Aug 10, 2004.

1. imported_rob911

imported_rob911 Guest

[Aug 10, 2004]
    Has anyone ever changed the oil in their A3 Quattro Rear diff/heldex coupling?
    If so - do the 2 share the same oil or do they have seperate supplies?
    I have the heldex filter and the tubes of oil and need to press on.
    There apprears to be more than one drain and filling plug!
    Cheers
    Rob Justice
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 21, 2014]

3. AndybS3

AndybS3 Member

[Aug 10, 2004]
    Here's a pic of the plugs
  4. imported_rob911

imported_rob911 Guest

[Aug 10, 2004]
    Andy - are you correct with the drain and filling being the same plug? I thought you filled it through the level check plug.
  5. AndybS3

AndybS3 Member

[Aug 10, 2004]
    The pic was emailed to me from Hans Berg from Haldex traction so I would assume it to be correct Rob
  6. imported_rob911

imported_rob911 Guest

[Aug 10, 2004]
    I will need to look further into this Andy - the drain and filling plug is the lowest part of the diff so I cannot see how you would manage to fill it using this plug.
    Did you manage to remove the Haldex filter - It looks very difficult with the diff sitting inside its cradle.
    Bloke at VW garage told me you have to break the old filter to get it past mount - new filter is a 2 piece job to allow you to fit it.
  7. AndybS3

AndybS3 Member

[Aug 10, 2004]
    Here's another pic of the oil being refilled from the Audi service manual. I haven't changed the filter but according to the same manual you need an Audi tool which looks like a spanner bent at 90deg
  8. AndybS3

AndybS3 Member

[Aug 10, 2004]
    Pic of filter change
  9. imported_rob911

imported_rob911 Guest

[Aug 10, 2004]
    Take my hat off to you Andy - I suppose the special oil used must be very thick when cold - almost like a grease allowing you to refill it through the drain plug and it not draining away.
    Also I take it the diff and coupling use the same oil?
  10. imported_rob911

imported_rob911 Guest

[Aug 12, 2004]
    Andy - the document detailing the oil changed - is that from the workshop manual?
    Where did you manage to get a copy? I have tried dealers but so far had no luck. I have been informed you can get copies on e-bay etc.