A3 Quattro KO4 upgrade, its started

Nice work mate, this thread is a proper rollercoaster lol Pleased shes up and running. Time to let Jardo make it shiny....

Reactions: phil miller
It is strange to read back thro it, only 6 months ago i was saying i didnt want a mani or DP and id be happy with 250 bhp, i even said i wasnt gonna rebuild it as id have to fit rods, hmm strange how things change lol

Dave i cant wait to drive it again, work is half a mile from my house (yes i drive as ive normally got a box full of tools) anyway i think tomorrow morning my drive to work will prob be about 10 miles each way lol

Russ ive already spoke to Jardo, Ron will be getting a clean on Sunday :) 2 months of dust from being in the garage has made ron look shabby :(

Bill, Ive been thinking about the extra heatshield to cover the MC and servo, ive been thinking of using stainless instead of the merlin sheet, reason being is i thing it would keep the MC a little cooler

So with that in mind i will be doing this tomorrow evening :)

Well done Phil, so happy for you!

Im going to drop my car off this weekend so you can fit my rods for me yeah.:arco:

Bill, Ive been thinking about the extra heatshield to cover the MC and servo, ive been thinking of using stainless instead of the merlin sheet, reason being is i thing it would keep the MC a little cooler

So with that in mind i will be doing this tomorrow evening :)

so long as it reflects the heat away, alls good

Checked all the levels this morning, all good, started first turn of the key, and drove spot on :)

its funny how much has changed over the months, I'm really please with it, I've got a great base to work from now the engine is good

hmm ko3s or ko4, ko4 ftw :)

well 25 miles covered :) still taking it steady, but due to a family issue i will have to do the 35mile round trip to my parents tomorrow and sunday, so the only positive to come out of this is i will put a few miles on Ron, also it now means ive gotta go to Leeds on the 26 april and then to R-tech on 30 april, lots of miles and fuel :(

anyway after talking to Bill when i ordered my rods and he said to add more heat shield i have made another tonight

Now Ron is back on the road i knew we didnt need all the cars we have, we have a mk4 and mk5 golf TDI, so the mk4 has given its OZ 17s up and Rachel will now be using my mk5 (its hard but i love ron and this way i can enjoy 55mpg whenever lol)

I also had some Red stuff rear pads so i thought it rude not to fit them

ive also fitted some coilovers to the rear, which ive got to adjust as its very low atm, will fit the fronts and see what it looks like and adjust as needed

I had the tracking adjusted today which has made it feel alot surer footed

I love that you have given up a lovely Mk5 GT TDI for an 11 year old burgundy A3.

Hero.

ok, in december i pikied a boost gauge on to my pillar, it looked crap, but done its job, so i have decided to do the free things to the car, you know the ones that annoy you each time you get in the car

so, its to wet to adjust the rear coil platforms, so i took out my o/s outer heater vent (Jardo said it would be better there than the centre vent, now ive looked many times at the replacement vent for a boost gauge and after watching one sell for iirc £60 on ebay decided i could NEVER bring myself to pay that for a bit of plastic

I decided to have a go :)

so first off i found part of the pod i cut up at xmas, cut out just the gauge bit

glued it in place and then trimmed it a little more

Then i used Gell coat filler to go all around the outside to form the shape

and then a smear of bodyfiller

im just waiting for it to fully harden before i start the rub down

Im gonna spray it black for the time being and get some gloss black and paint them all

so as budget mods go this is up with the best, i already had everything ive used, taken about an hour to do, best off all if it looks awful i can get a replacement vent and return to standard :)

So as ive moved the boost gauge has anyone got a spare pair of A pillar trims they want to get rid of?

If you can wait until tomorrow I will see what condition the ones are in my donor 8L if that's any good?

If you can wait until tomorrow I will see what condition the ones are in my donor 8L if that's any good?

Winner :)

im in no rush like that, if you have a pair thats the same colour that would be spot on, as lets face it, im not gonna find a mingging biege one anywhere lol

Have you got a steering column upper and lower cover aswell dude?

Why not dude? Some secret background info on phillers gauge being about 4'' deep or something?

ok so i dropped a ******* of epic size :( turns out the pod i cut up to use in my vent is 53mm, so until i get a new gauge i have wrapped tape around the gauge body to hold it, and tbh its a great fit

I have to get some finer wet n dry to smooth it more, but a little matt black and its looking good imho

and with the gauge fitted

Reactions: slowcoach3
also on the left hand side i plan to drill 2 small holes one for meth on and the other for meth low

all in all a good day modding

Me likey! Now quick delete the post before or Jardo will know that he was right, you were wrong and you'll never hear the end of it....

Russ the thing that really got me was i had a double pod that i cut about to make my single one, i had forgotten Jardo had given me a pod aswell, i should have looked harder and tried my gauge in there first :(

but ive totally redeemed myself lol

Will have a look tomorrow for you chap.

well i took the lovely Rachel out for dinner, where Russ works, it was top draw, if anyone is in Devon and can get to the sandy park i highly recommend that you do

anyway, before i left and while i was waiting for rach to get ready i decided to drill the 2 holes for my LEDs, first off, lets face it, ive just said i was waiting to go out, so i should have known something would go wrong, anyway drill in hand i start to drill, its going well, but just as the drill went thro.............. it cracked the filler f**k, gutted, so as i knew i had time on my side i V'd the crack and mixed up some gell coat, ran it in the groove and then filled over it :)

will post up pics tomorrow all fitted :)

all fitted :) needs a little more work and some gloss paint, im happy with it :)

Well Lee yes in away, I wanted to do something yesterday but the weather was awfull, money is very tight ATM so thought if have a go lol

im pleased with it, a little more work and it will be perfect

so what other cheap/free mods are worth doing?

Well Lee yes in away, I wanted to do something yesterday but the weather was awfull, money is very tight ATM so thought if have a go lol

im pleased with it, a little more work and it will be perfect

so what other cheap/free mods are worth doing?

I know the feeling about money been tight mate,
I've recently done white led foot well lights that come on with interior lights cost about 4 quid lol also led interior lights

Paint the grille surround black that's another budget mod and joey mod on headlights

Ive got SURGE :(

i spoke to Prawn and he has confirmed thats my problem :( it sounds like an STI (and not the jap sort)

since last monday ive been taking it steady running it in, so i had to go feed mums cats tonight and though it would be rude not to take Ron, so when it was mapped it peaked at 21, held 18ish, so on the way home, up to temp i opened it up, the boost gauge went round to iirc 23ish PSI the DV went tsss tsss tsss the boost gauge was all our the place then the gauge dropped back to 19 and went up and held 21, so im glad its nothing major, gonna have to drive around it for the time being, tbh it was a worry as i didnt know/hadnt had surge before ever

all in all ron is awesome :)

put and mbc in parrallel and cap it at 21psi. job done no surge :thumbsup:

Silly question, but whats an MBC? manual boost controller? also how would that be plumbed in? sorry really silly questions i know, and niki is gonna log it in 2 weeks so he can mapp it out then, but i will do anything to protect it :)

Yup boost controller.By the time you've ordered one and set it up you'll be ready to go back to r-tech so just take it easy, wash Ron, fit some led's and tidy up the bay :( or run it n75 unplugged to be safe. Gutted mate but at least Niki can map it out, its all about the porting baby...

Yup boost controller.By the time you've ordered one and set it up you'll be ready to go back to r-tech so just take it easy, wash Ron, fit some led's and tidy up the bay :( or run it n75 unplugged to be safe. Gutted mate but at least Niki can map it out, its all about the porting baby...

Niki mapped in switchable mapping so i could just put it on setting 5, which is act pressure and slowly builds to 10psi, its booked in 2 weeks on tuesday so its not that far away tbh, although after what happened this afternoon i have to go to Leeds a week on Friday, i may call Niki tomorrow and see if i can change the tuesday for the saturday, that way i can save 600 miles

The only good thing to come out of it is it didnt have surge before and it does now, so it must be flowing better :), can i crack 300bhp???? 16 days and we will know :)

Yeah i gave it a wash this afternoon, thinking of leaving the dash Beige but spraying all the air vents gloss black, that will help break it up a little :)

Don't fit a manual boost controller; they're **** even as a short term option.

I'v got one here that you can have, I'll even plumb it in for you just to show you how pikey they are.

N75 ftw, just drive around it for now.

Don't fit a manual boost controller; they're **** even as a short term option.

I'v got one here that you can have, I'll even plumb it in for you just to show you how pikey they are.

N75 ftw, just drive around it for now.

I thought you had left the country dude, tried to call but got no answer :(, im sure Niki said something about a MBC as added protection if the 75 failed, but TBH i was dizzy from driving man boost ron at the time to take it all in :)

how are MBCs ****e?
How can they be ****e if they are just used to cap boost IF your car happens to be overboosting, and can pretty much be considered a safety measure.

im not telling him to ditch the N75. im telling him to run it IN PARALLEL to the N75. Because CLEARLY its not doing its job as efficiently as it should.