1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 Quattro Gearbox Removal

A3Quattro1985 Jan 23, 2009

1. A3Quattro1985

A3Quattro1985 New Member

Hi i am trying to remove the gearbox on my a3 1999 Quattro but i wont come away from the engine i can seperate it about 1cm then it springs back and i can find anything holding it in. do i need to fully remove the engine. ideas would be greatly appriciated thanks in advance

2. red-line

red-line New Member

Hi have you already removed the transfer box if not I suggest you do so makes the job a great deal easier. Good luck

3. A3Quattro1985

A3Quattro1985 New Member

Cant seem to get the transfer box off either is there anything apart from the bolts holding that in place

4. red-line

red-line New Member

There is a 4 or 5 mm hex bolt in the middle of the offside drive shaft flange this needs to be removed first

5. A3Quattro1985

A3Quattro1985 New Member

is that to remove the gearbox or tranfer box

6. red-line

red-line New Member

you need to remove the transfer box first otherwise you will struggle like hell there are about 4/5 bolt visable but there is a hex bolt inside the offside drive shaft flange which is not visable and if this is not removed the transfer box will only move away from the gearbox a few mm and the gearbox will not come out

7. A3Quattro1985

A3Quattro1985 New Member

Thanks very much for your help mate at least someone is helpful on this site unlike when nobody replied to other threads i have posted.