A3 Quattro build thread

Just for the record i never ment for any of my comments to sound like i was slagging anyones project off. I have spent a ****** fortune on my S3 and also a lot of time with big turbo engine builds etc etc. All i was trying to say was for anyone who is thinking of doing a BT build, there are other cars you could buy outright for the money that you will put into a A3/S3 to make it a Evo beater.

i know one thing. i wont be doing it again!
i never got my old golf mapped and finished before it died, so wanted to build a near 400bhp car, just to see how it went. i have the added bonus of quattro now too. i love the car, and will run it into the ground, i'd never sell it, would lose so much money

Matt i'll bet you any money this wont be your first and last engine build.

Ive help build quite a few and I love it, when im old and grey id still like to think id have an engine on a stand in the garage waiting for me to add some moon rock crankshaft in or something (by that time, our materials would have advanced see)

Have you sorted out when your going back for a retest to see what its actually going to make?

maybe one day i'd do another. kinda like the idea of a 1.8t mk2 golf.

anyway, hopefully get the a3 back on rollers within two weeks, just soooooo busy at mo, and gota find time to get to bills for him 2 check it over finally. i will get video too. it really does make a huge roar on the rollers!

guys id love to do this and do it myself using the knowledge from your posts....6k is too rich for me though as i dont plan to run this car into the ground and would like either an RS4 or 8P S3 in the not too distant future.....if you'd have said 3k then my ears may be pricking up as a 3k engine conversion would be very appealing..... brakes and susp can wait :D

^^^ I second that my friend, just doing that alone makes the car a better thing to drive....

<tuffty/>

hawhaw!!!

out of curiousity though, whats the engine rebuild likely to cost on its own? talking GT28, uprated arms, mapping etc

nobody likes to add up what they spent on a project like this.
I was keeping a spreadsheet so I would have a detailed breakdown ....I stopped filling it in as it was taking all the fun out of it!!

I am doing the same sort of thing at Matt except on an A4
£10k easily disappears in these kind of things....but my £10k probably got spread over several years and at the end of it I have very little left of the original car. anything unused got sold on. any parts I bought in the US were bought in duplicate and the extra sold on. I am now a distributor in the UK for several US parts suppliers which helps chip away at the costs

car cost me £6500 in 05
£1000 KWv3
£1000 B7 RS4 brakes/goodridge motorsport SS lines
£2000 2.0l forged engine internals/2871/Tapp tune
£500 clutch and flywheel
£0 Forge FMIC/Recirc (development car!)
£500 polybushes for everything, all suspension, engine, diff, subframe
£300 Quaife ATB Rear Diff (retail at £900!)
£100 Turbo back Milltek (ebay baby!)
£600 exhaust mani/downpipe components/Tial Vband 44mm wastegate
£800 wheels and tyres
£2500-3000 in assorted labour for bits I did not want to do!

still need to spend about £500-1000 on little things to get it all pulled together.
but that is over three years and with the sale of numerous bits to fund it. will have an entire 1.8t with Ko3s to sell on when the 2.0l block goes in goes in.

I will still be driving a 100k mile A4 at the end of it. but I am pretty sure I could not have bought an RS4 for the same money and even if I had managed to find one. it would be stock power, stock suspension and stock brakes. I would still be doing the same mods just to a more expensive car!

nobody said it was cheap. but it is very rewarding....
and it is ****** funny worrying stockbrokers in £70-100k cars!

so if doing yourself, 3k budget isnt out of the relms of possiblity for the GT28 conversion from the looks of that mate?

I'm not slagging people's build off either (i love how people twist things!). I certainly wouldn't be able to do it (though most people just commission someone else to do the work!)

I just think that for that amount of money i'd want something abit more special sitting on the drive! Don't get me wrong, its probably very fast and fun but i'd rather have a standard RS4/M3/S4 V8 etc than a modified A3!

As for the 60k spent on a cossie. At lot of money over many years, but at least it was a Cossie he started with!

so missing the tiny bits.....GT28, R32 throttle body, down pipe and full exhaust..... rods, valves and map should see me good?

oooooh this is tempting, i have 3 mechanics living within 3 doors of my house so hopefully wouldnt be a massive issue fitting..... just incase i alienate these chaps in the mean time, how easy would this be for a novice DIY'er to fit..... in your opinion

Trim is the ratio between inducer and exducer diameters for turbine and compressor wheels. Bigger the trim the more it can flow, but at the expense of spool.

oooooh this is tempting, i have 3 mechanics living within 3 doors of my house so hopefully wouldnt be a massive issue fitting..... just incase i alienate these chaps in the mean time, how easy would this be for a novice DIY'er to fit..... in your opinion

its not rocket science, you may find that you need to do some hoemwork on manifolds for LHD vs RHD.

do your research, have plenty of time to set aside when it goes wrong and get the right tools.
a ramp is a bonus but not really essential

speak to bill at badger 5, sure he could put a kit together for you

Speed is a question of money - how fast do you want to go..

I would dread to think how much ££ is sunk into my ibiza racecar since 2001 purchase, but I know its many many £1000's

The financials are not the point tho. any **** can buy a porsche. hardly any porsches could live with my ibiza.. and why? well why not.
whatever floats ya boat.

:)

sounds good Bill...... would love to have a race car, i guess you need quite a bit of surplus to accomodate :respekt:

I will be in touch to price a kit in the near future Bill.... as part of my research into this, ive always had the methodology where as i plough my money into the next car as opposed to the current..... im letting go of this but not to the extent of spending 12k on an 02 plate car......

I will be in touch to price a kit in the near future Bill.... as part of my research into this, ive always had the methodology where as i plough my money into the next car as opposed to the current..... im letting go of this but not to the extent of spending 12k on an 02 plate car......

Tim,thats clear as mud:)

it is mate your right haha..... basically saying that im warming to the thought of spending 3k on the damn thing ;)

the spend for most folk is evolution over years, so its a hobby gone mad when you keep on going, changing, improving..

you cant take it with ya.. might as well enjoy!

For me, I would never save what I have spent on the car, so would not have the money car on the driveway as an already done thing. I woudl just start tweaking on the expensive car.. its an addiction.. and I have it bad.

:)

id have to agree with bill, id be interested in a big turbo if i could get a decent kit made up with a sensible turbo to not have much lag and mapped so i didnt need internals, im so undecided still on hybrid or big turbo gurrr

how much would a kit be supplyed bill for my setup is it possible??? pm me if you'd prefer, cheers

3k is a lot i found a KO4 Hybrid £1200 plus vat that can produce 340-360Bhp when coupled with a high flow cat, manifold 3" downpipe, cat back, chip remap and induction kit think this is my next mod

a K04 hybrid can give you 360bhp?? never heard of a K04 hybrid getting that figure...so 1200 plus vat, downpipe @ £800 for a half decent one, cats on top at least £400 id guess, you have spent almost 3k straight away without fitting - so if i can get a BT kit for under 3k then all of a sudden your kit doesnt look all that good?
no offence

ko4 on 360bhp?
sounds like a short lived love affair. not sustainable and turns it into a hot air pump at those boost levels

Tim just a decent map for big turbo is at least 500-600 £ as you need new injectors which is automatically a remap from scratch.

JCB those rods seem perfect.. If i go BT i'll be looking at going up to 2.0L while its all out might as well convert the stroke.

Guys what was uprated about the valves, did you also change the springs? Do cams on these engines make a difference?

Shy

stock cams are fine for all but the lairiest applications
I have a set of supertech inlet and exhaust with springs and Ti retainers. if you are planning on any kind of bigger turbo, exhaust valves are a minimum requirement unless you have a spare engine or are prepared to spend £4k when the head drops of at the redline.

PM me if you are interested in the parts.

speakers up!

crazy, ive been watching your build since it started and had no idea you're from stroud, small world! where abouts you live?

thinking about it im sure i saw you as i was driving down the W into nailsworth the other day, even thought to myself it sounded grunty as feck for a quattro!

im in nailsworth but i work in bussage so i drive threw brimescombe near enough every day, ill keep my eye out for you, got a 1.6 a3 at the moment but am going to pick up an S3 sometime this week. whats the turbo lag like on that thing?