1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 Power Steering fault!

RichHouseman Jan 2, 2014

1. RichHouseman

RichHouseman New Member

Evening!

just before Christmas the red power steering light stayed on when i started my A3. The steering is very stiff and the red light stays on all the time. Being a mechanic myself i gave it a look over and checked fuses and basic things. Ive got power down to the rack so its looking like it is needing a new/replacement rack. Ive looked on a few forums and people are saying that the rack will need coding with an Audi computer. fitting the rack is no problem for me but if it needs coding then i will have to take it somewhere that has the right computer. I'm just after a bit of advice really on the easiest way to go about it!

Audi A3 2.0 TDI 53 plate
    Rack PN - IK2 423 051 AC

Thanks for your help!
    Rich

2. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Your rack will be a gen 1, if you buy new it will be a gen 3 which also requires adapter looms to be compatible & tbh best to go to audi to make sure its coded/programmed correctly as afaik I heard they upload curvature patterns to the rack aswell when fitting.

3. RichHouseman

RichHouseman New Member

Thanks for your reply NHN

I think im going to risk fitting a second hand rack and getting it coded in after. Im struggling to find a rack with the same part number as mine. will any gen 1 rack fit even with out the same number.

Thanks again
    Rich

4. alastair0903

alastair0903 New Member

Rich did you get this sorted out ? i am having the same problem and am willing to fit the rack but unsure of coding ?

5. clair0786

clair0786 New Member

I've had this problem with my a3 2003, I searched all over for a secondhand rack, no luck in finding one with the same wiring. In the end I sent my faulty rack to a company called bba-reman they reconditioned it and was back within the week as good as new. It cost me £408 in total including shipping. I hope this helps

6. alastair0903

alastair0903 New Member

I ended up just getting a rack from the breakers yard and fitting it myself , was fairly straight forward and the car feels much tighter with the replacement rack on