1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 parking sensors

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by a3rom, Oct 6, 2009.

1. a3rom

a3rom New Member

[Oct 6, 2009]
    hi i'm looking into fitting reverse parking sensors to my 2001 a3,
    1) do they fit on the main part of the bumper, or the lower black part
    2) all factory fitted ones are flush to the bumper, but aftermarket ones stick out slightly with a ring around the sensor. is this due to the fitting or the sensor, where can I get the flush ones from?

many thanks Romil
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. Imteyaz

Imteyaz 6th Gear

[Oct 6, 2009]
    Not sure on the A3's but on S3's, the black/grey insert on the rear bumper is where the sensors are attached (factory fit) so I would imagine the A3 would be along the same height / lines. I suppose if you really wanted to, you could get an aftermarket kit to fit into your existing bumper, cut the holes and then rebate them slightly to give you a more flush fit.

I'm considering fitting an aftermarket kit too when funds allow, I'm also on the hunt for an S3 rear bumper so if all works well, I may just get the insert with the holes precut/moulded for ease of fitment / OE look.
  4. a3rom

a3rom New Member

[Oct 6, 2009]
    how would i rebate them into the bumper ( the silver solour coded part of bumper) aftermarket kits come with a hole saw so i cut the hole and push them in this wouldn't make them sit flush would it?

fitting on the lower black part seems simple enough and as there less visable i wouldn't mind if there not flush fitted,

btw are the holes pre marked or is this something that needs to be worked out and marked up, any hints on how to get it right.

thanks Rom
  5. Imteyaz

Imteyaz 6th Gear

[Oct 6, 2009]
    To rebate the hole, I would use a hole saw that is larger by 1mm and just gently take off a little bit at a time until you create a lip for the sensor to sit flush in, you may need 2 different sizes dependent on the size of the sensor lip. Not an easy job but I'm sure someone with decent DIY skills could achieve it.

I think the lower black plastic part is easier for mounting the sesnors (apart from being easier to be disguised), many cars have them there also from prodution (think BMW 3 series), there doesn't seem to be any guidance on the best location...

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any markings on where to cut the holes externally, I have never seen behind the lower lip to see if there are markings from the factory, with the S3 insert, you can buy one with the holes pre-cut/moulded but on the A3 I think it's a case of measure 15x, cut once, live with it...
  6. a3rom

a3rom New Member

[Oct 6, 2009]
    decided to get a bog standard kit off ebay and try with blue tak to see where they work best, if they work on the lower half i'd be more than happy, seen a few bimmers and jags with them on the lower part of bumper, and as you mentioned the s3 so should be good, will post pics once its done.

thanks Rom