1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 Non Bose Sub & Amp Install - Confused

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by TDIQ, Dec 28, 2009.

1. TDIQ

TDIQ 8L > 8P > 8V

I've got a non bose a3, and I've already put my Alpine HU in the car. I've got the loom adaptor so that the rear speakers still work. Now I have an amp and subwoofer ready to install, but can't work out how I'd go about installing it.

Would I run the rear speakers from the new amp and remove the Audi sub (and amp) in the boot? How did you guys connect your sub and rears?

Where's the best place to run power cables so that they're hidden and go into the boot?

Thanks
  2. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Does you new Amp have enough channels to run the rear speakers? If so, then I'd just just the standard sub/amp, and run the rear speakers and sub off the new amp. I would run the wiring down the passenger side of the car, under the sill trim, and take the feeds to the rear speakers from the original speaker wires on that side.
  3. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Active Member

Ive got an S3 with the bose set up and added a sub and amp to it.
    Most alpine head units have seperate rear feeds (RCA ) connections for use with amps.
    I would use either the rear RCA leads from the stereo and connect the amp for the rears speakers and simply unplug the standard wires and the use the amps 3rd channel to drive the sub via the amps low pass filter.
    Or if it has one... use the head units seperate Sub output and the rear outputs ?
    I ran the power wire though the bulk head via the original trunking for the cars engine loom. then down under the carpet behind the sill trim and under the rear seat.into the boot.
  4. jojo

I have an Andymac setup in my car which bypasses the Bose sub, but unfortunately, on a non Bose car, the rear speakers and sub runs of a pathetic little amp thing built into the standard OEM subwoofer, so disconnect that, and the rear speakers don't work neither.
  5. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Active Member

This is a good thing then?
    If the plan is to use the aftermarket amp to power the rear speakers AND the new sub?
    Simply run a pair of RCA "phono leads" from the headunit to the place you want to mount the amp. Then a remote wire (run from the headunits electric arial feed or "amp remote") and the power wire from the battery
    bobs your uncle !
  6. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Far easier to run the rears off the new HU as there's no benefit of separately amping them, then use the alpines sub pre-out to feed the amp for just the sub. Run power from the battery via the spare grommet underneath the wiper splashguard, near the pollen filter on the passenger side. You'll just need to run 2 speaker wires from the red sub plug (where the rears can be picked up) back to the HU. Then run a single RCA for the sub feed back to the amp. You won't then need the adapter and you can bypass the terrible Audi wiring and disconnect the tupperware sub.
  7. TDIQ

TDIQ 8L > 8P > 8V

For now I've decided to keep the Audi sub to power the rears, and I've run the power cable through the grommet, and under the sill. The amp's just driving my sub in the boot now.

Is it really worth re-wiring the rears? All the speakers are the standard Audi ones, and I don't plan to upgrade them really. Is it that bad to run both the Audi Sub and my own, will it have any detrimental effects?
  8. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Active Member

I left my bose one working with the JL audio one i added but it flapped long before the additional sub did so sounded like i was over working the rear speakers. i then un plugged it and the distorsion has gone.
  9. TDIQ

TDIQ 8L > 8P > 8V

I'll probably leave both in then, just got to re-route it under the sill again.
  10. jojo

You can cancel out the bass you new sub is producing, if you run the standard sub with it, which kinds of detroys the sound quality.
  11. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes definately disconnect it, you can't have that piece of shyte flapping away and destroying the beautiful bass from your proper sub.