a3 lowering

marc464

Reaction score
hi im wanting to lower my a3 tdi but i dont want it to be really stiff i dont want to go to low either if any one could give me some advice on what springs and shocks i would need to achive this that would be great thanks marc

40mm drop on decent springs and shocks would be good. I have the Wietec Ultra GT kit and its great, although if you're planning on running 18 inch rims the ride can be a bit harsh on crappy roads (but it is with any suspension set up IMO)

The problem with is coilovers is that they're a harsher option then springs and shocks.

As mentioned the Weitec 40mm kit gives a nice drop and is also comfortable enough for everyday use without giving you any problems.

Damian @ DPM Performance

There's the tried and tested Bilstein B8s with H&R or Eibach springs aswell, not as much of a drop, 25mm, but the ride when driving around is nice and smooth and when pushed they're sharp and precise.

Coiloversss! that way u can adjust ur ride hight.

Unless you're happy to spend big bucks on coilovers I'd steer clear...plus there's the added faff of getting the car to sit where you want it to.

Spring and shock kit is a lot less strife and you'll get a better quality of part over cheap coilovers....even based on what all the coilover lovers say!.

If you're just after a straight forward slight drop then go for springs and shocks. There are loads of kits on the market :)

40mm is spot on for an A3 IMO :)

my votes for coilovers. I use the £180 JOM coilovers from Damian up there ^^ and my car is Slammed to the floor. its not a bad ride if im honest for a car thats so decked, so i would assume that the ride would be nicer if it were higher.

Its up to you, if you want to have the choice of high coilies are for your. (there not hard to adjust just use a tape messure!) If you want to just bolt on springs then go for it. I personally dont see the point of lowering your car on your old haggerd shocks when you can have all new ones with coilovers. you gotta take the shocks off no matter what so you mite as well change them right? Less work too as you dont have to compress the springs to get them off.

hi im wanting to lower my a3 tdi but i dont want it to be really stiff i dont want to go to low either if any one could give me some advice on what springs and shocks i would need to achive this that would be great thanks marc

:)

you dont have to slam a car just coz you have coilovers, you have the freedom to do as you like and get it the high you want, not what the springs are set at. new shocks to... not rocket science to work out what the better option is. :)

Unless you're happy to spend big bucks on coilovers I'd steer clear...plus there's the added faff of getting the car to sit where you want it to.

Spring and shock kit is a lot less strife and you'll get a better quality of part over cheap coilovers....even based on what all the coilover lovers say!.

I hate to say it Tom, but after 6 years of ownership over 3 modified A3's, I really think that's bad advice you're giving....

I've had several shock and spring kits, and always avoided the cheap coilovers until recently.

I recently gave in and bought and fitted a set of jamex £200 coilovers to my old A3, and the ride is FAR better than my weitec GT kit when setup at the same height, even wound 25mm lower the ride is STILL smoother.

I know the old addage ''you get what you pay for'' but this case really does go against. In the jamex you get a stainless steel shock body (which will never rust unlike the weitecs) More height adjustment than you could ever want, a great fitting product, at a crazy cheap price.

Seriously, I recently bought a new A3, which of course has Jamex coilovers on it, wound down about 65mm, and I've wound the coilovers on my old car up to just a 35mm drop so it's useable for my old man, and the ride is just sublime, so so much better than the old weitecs, which were his sole excuse NOT to the buy the car previously....

Cheap coilovers all the way....

hi thanks for the replies i dont think im of down the coilover route the weitec kits sounds good and the bilstein and hand r spring combo sounds good does any one know the best place to get them from thanks marc

Sure Damian @ DPM Performance will sort you out fella. :) hes normally lerking around here some where

I dont think its bad advice at all Prawn. It fits what the OP wants and its my opinion on the matter.

I couldnt be ***** with coilovers as I'll never adjust them and I've seen loads of cheap coilovers before...I'd rather have a spring and shock kit on my car.

Sorry Tom, perhaps I put my point across wrong.....

What I'm saying is, if you want a comfortable ride at a sensible price, Jamex coilovers, adjusted to give a 40mm drop, are the best option.

The ride comparison between my old weitecs at 50mm drop and my jamex at considerably more drop is pretty unexpected, I never expected the coilovers to ride better, but the simple fact of the matter is that they do.

I've personally fitted the ebay coilovers to 3 cars now, and been in/driven another 5 that have them fitted, and I have found all of these cars to have a softer, more comfortable ride than the weitec shocks and springs I had.

Plus the weitecs are now almost £400, compared to just £200 for the Jamex.

I won't be adjusting mine either, once the car is at a ride height you're happy with, tehre's no need to adjust them ever again, although it was incredibly handy being able to a few weeks ago when I wound the car up to get onto the rollers at R-tech. It took me all of 5 minutes to wind teh car up 30mm, and another 5 minutes afterwards to wind it back down.

I feel that having avoided coilovers for almost 4 years, that I wasted money on the weitecs looking back. Not that I wasn't perfectly happy with them at the time, but in hindsight, the coilovers ARE better.

2 audis 2 lots of coilovers... love em. shimples! :)

EDIT: was out in my mates scooby last night and my slammed a3 has a softer ride than his 35mm lowered scoob.

Last edited: