1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a3 leaking water into car ?? any ideas

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by nick1973, Feb 18, 2007.

1. nick1973

nick1973 Member

[Feb 18, 2007]
    my a3 is letting water int the car around the centre console cant be the heater matris as car is not lossing any water have lifted the plastic schuttle but can se naything wrong my guess is a grommet or something near the middle of the car under the scuttle any ideas
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

[Feb 18, 2007]
    If I were you, take the wipers off, remove the plastic scuttle and completely clean out the drain holes down into the wings. I was getting a leak around one of the cable gromets because the drain hole was partly blocked resulting in the gromets being permanently immersed in water.

This whole area of the car is very badly designed. You would think that Audi would have worked out that people might park their cars outside and as a result leaves and other bits of debris are likely to get into the scuttle area and cause water to stand in the tray.
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 18, 2007]
    Yes drain holes bunged up is the most likely cause. This causes rain water to overflow and find it's way into the cabin. Even if there is no sign of water under the wiper scuttle, it would eventually have drained away after it's overflowed into the cabin. I had to remove 4 litres of water from under my carpets recently, took all bloody day as the foam is not protected so just soaks it all up before you even know you've got a problem.
    You'll need a special tool to remove the wiper arms:
    http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/search/filter/wiper arm/page/1