1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A3 HU Concert - MP3 Connection

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Crisis, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Crisis

Crisis Member

So far from what I can gather their are a few options to choose from. But the main question is:

What is the standard connection on the back of THIS headunit:

[​IMG]

As far as I know its :
    ISO or Quadlock

Its the standard headunit in a 54 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDI Sport. If that helps.

Once I know the connection I can find what I need to plug in an MP3/USB.

So far I've found a few products doing this (any views?)

Dension Link Gatway 100
    These Products from In Car Express - (not sure which one connects) http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/catse...essories&type=Aux-Input&fitment=Audi&limit=10

This eBay Product - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MP3-Player-fo...oryZ3293QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    This eBay Product - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MP3-MAZDA-6-M...oryZ3293QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    This eBay Product - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MP3-Player-fo...oryZ3293QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any help?

Thanks!
  2. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

It is ISO - the Gen II head units were all ISO. As far as I know you'll need something that mimics the external cd changer to work with it.
  3. Crisis

Crisis Member

Something that has the same connection presumably.

Wondering tho, how the Playlist function works? As the CD Changer would be 6 CDs, but with the new iPod Connection Audi offer they say you need 6 Playlists on the iPod for it to work.

How does this link up?
  4. redbutcher

redbutcher Member

I've just fitted a Dension Gateway 100 to my RNS-E.

The first 5 CDs on the changer will be the first 5 playlists on your iPod. CD 6 allows you to choose the interface. Track 1 on CD 6 uses the Gateway Interface i.e RNS-E controls iPod. Track 2 uses the iPod interface i.e. you just use the iPod to select the playlist/albym/track you want to hear. Track 3 on CD 6 is the aux input (3.5mm jack) on the Gateway.

I got mine from www.ipodcarkitdirect.com

Jon
  5. Crisis

Crisis Member

Well I don't have an iPod. I have a new MP3 player which plugs directly into my PC USB Port (just like a USB Pen Drive) and it has the standard 3.5mm headphone jack. I somehow doubt it will be compatable with a USB Port in the car, so its probably going to be the 3.5mm jack.

Just don't want to pay lots of money for a kit designed for an iPod I guess. Most of them are!

Btw, I'm not against iPod, but we have 2 in the house and iTunes annoys me enough as it is. New MP3 player is drag and drop.

Thanks so far!
  6. redbutcher

redbutcher Member

Ahh right - sorry just assumed MP3 player was iPod!
  7. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

8. KayP

KayP New Member

iv got this xcarlink usb, its great. installed it myself, very easy only took few minutes. i got a mini portable external 80GB hard drive from staples £39.99, its usb powered so no external power supply which means i cn keep it in my glove box. can't go wrong. got all my music on there. can accept upto 6CD's full of as many music as you like.